Menu

Pacworks Opinions

I've been looking at their website and course offerings. I would love to hear from people who have actually used this curriculum.

What classes have you used?

Why did you choose Pacworks?

How much do you think your student has learned/retained?

Opinions?

Many thanks!

Pacworks is the website for Paradigm Accelerated Curriculum. They produce self-paced worktext type programs for independent learners in upper middle school and high school. The worktexts are meant to be more readable than a typical textbook. The most frequently mentioned programs on WTM are the American History course, the World Geography and the Science courses. They also have a new World History course as well as a few Math and English courses. If you don't get many responses, you can also check the reviews on CBD and Rainbow Resource.

I used the IPC (Integrated Physics and Chemistry) course with my artsy oldest son years ago. From what I remember, it was very readable, very light in math, mainly conceptual. There is historical and biographical information, which made it more interesting for this particular son. The lessons are in bite-sized chunks.

The assessments are pretty much all just asking the student to recall information read; there is no higher order thinking involved.

In retrospect, I think one could use it as a 9th grade introductory Physical Science class, or even call it IPC. Giving it two credits (one Physics, one Chemistry) was really a stretch.

We were going to use it for American History this year, but after I got it in the mail I returned it. I wanted something light, but this was....well, VERY light. It was supposed to be high school level, but it seemed middle or even elementary. Also, I felt like it was somewhat disorganized. It wasn't for us.

My ds is using the Biology and the Anatomy courses this year. It has worked well for him. I feel like it covers Biology well, but it is easier to grasp the concepts and retain the info. We supplemented with the Biology 101 DVDs and my ds is doing labs with Landry Academy (weekend intensive).

We are using PAC Cultural World History. It is formulaic and straight forward. Each of the 6 books covers the same topics (terrain, bodies of water, languages, etc) for the 6 continents studied. It strikes a good balance of information, not too much and not too little. You could do this program in a semester if you wanted to.

On con IMHO is the books are in black and white. There are not very many pictures. The mapwork is not easy to follow because it is all black and white and grey. I have supplimented with additional resources such as atlases and books from our local library. I really feel geography should be "alive" with color. We have also used the internet for additional information and pictures.

It is an easy program to implement. It is also very easy to stretch by adding literature, art, music, food, history, achitecture, and culture in general. We have added to the sections on wildlife for almost every book because dds have an interest in that area. I've added dvds from the library also.

It is not the "fact cram" I though BJU's cultural geography program appeared to be. But, it is not as colorful and engaging as BJU. It is fairly up to date.

My DD used Pac for eighth grade grammar and science. It was just what we needed. She commented that she really understood the grammar this time around. Lessons are definitely short and sweet which is probably why DD likes them! I have supplemented with videos for science from Discovery education and additional reading from Exploring the World of Biology from Tiner. We will be using the World Geography course next year for ninth and I plan to add in additional books relating to the area being studied or missionary bios relating to the area. I know that HOD is planning on using the IPC course in their new high school guide for World Geography that will be released this spring. They also recommend a lab kit and will schedule it all in the guide. I am still wondering if we should use the new HOD guide for next year. DD is taking several classes at co-op and I do not want to duplicate classes to feel like we are getting our money out of a full program.

Thanks so much for the opinions. I've decided to order the first chapter of a few of the courses to check them out. DD has been feeling somewhat overwhelmed by some of our current curriculum and I think I'd rather let her feel competent in an easier course for a while rather than continuing to have her feel in over her head. I can easily beef up a course by letting her choose independent research projects. SHe also just needs to get a few courses checked off and have more time for her art.