Menu

Red Scarf Girl

Can we talk about this book? I'm only 100-120pp in--although spoilers are fine--I mean, I *have* heard of the cultural revolution. :)

I've seen it compared to the Diary of Anne Frank, but it's been YEARS since I've read that--would the 2 pair well together? Or be too heavy together? What about reading about the French Revolution alongside this & other books about the Cultural Revolution?

Finally--what age range would you say would be best suited to this book? Obviously (I think!) not elem, but it seems pretty heavy/over the head of what a middle schooler would usually read, with obvious exceptions. I ask partly because Amazon says 8 & up, & that seems...pretty young for some of the themes in this book. Does it make a difference if they're reading it on their own vs discussing it w/ someone?

I haven't read it, but ds did--it was part of Sonlight 300 back in the day (6 years ago?). I can't believe Amazon's recommendation! 8 years old? Or maybe they meant 8th grade? IDK--the whole idea of the cultural rev would go right over the head of the average elem kid.

I am not familiar with this book, but I find that Amazon's age recommendations are more often for technical reading level and not the age-appropriateness of the book's topic/theme. A lot of books that a really meant for teens are technically written at about a 3rd grade level.