Menu

Could WWE and FLL be used with non-reading children?

Quiver0f10

Cross posted from the SN board. Do you think FLL/WWE could be used by a non-reader? My 8 yo dyslexic/dysgraphic son can sound out basic CVC words now and a few longer ones, but I'd still consider him a beginning reader. I never really thought @ wwe/fll with him, but I wonder if that might be a good fit?

Many people do start FLL before their child is reading well. And I imagine you could start WWE with a non reader too, it is only copy work and oral narrations at first.

BUT, I feel that your time would probably be better spent on phonics or some kind of reading games. And even at the Peacehill website they recomend not starting FLL until much later then only reading CVC words. Grammar is no big deal to pick up even if you wait for many years, and while the copywork/narration work in WWE is going to be useful for writing, you may be doing something similar anyway (a handwriting program and narrations in Sci or History).

My 7 yo is a non reader, and one of the things we are going to do next year is have him "teach" the sounds to the toddler. Not because I think the toddler needs to know it, but because I think they will both enjoy it, and I think it will help my 7yo, and will keep them busy for a little while. For instance, he will show a flashcard or write on the chalk board an "a", talk about the sound it makes, and then they will try to find 3 things that start with that sound.

I would wait on both of those until they are reading. Although you could do them (esp. FLL because it's oral), I think it would be a waste of time. It would be a much better use of your time to do these when they are reading. Get'em reading first, and then everything becomes MUCH easier. I don't think it would make a lot of sense to learn about proper grammar and usage, when the child can't read it in the first place.

I think you *should* start them!

With a dyslexic child, it isn't simply a matter of "getting them a phonics program and getting them reading." It could be YEARS before they can read and I wouldn't limit content until they can. I don't know how helpful copywork will be, but I don't think it can hurt (as long as it isn't causing huge amounts of frustration.) Narration and oral composition would be great!

I totally agree. I think that doing WWE and FLL will only reinforce his reading. I'd do as much orally as needed, but I'd do it. It's not like your son is 5 and not reading because he's young. His physical limitations should not limit him from moving ahead where he can.

With a dyslexic child, it isn't simply a matter of "getting them a phonics program and getting them reading." It could be YEARS before they can read and I wouldn't limit content until they can. I don't know how helpful copywork will be, but I don't think it can hurt (as long as it isn't causing huge amounts of frustration.) Narration and oral composition would be great!

Yep. With a dyslexic kid, it could be 2 to 4 years before he's really reading fluently. Doing some narration, grammar, copywork, and memorization enriches his language experience. Add read alouds and/or audio books to the mix and he'll be developing the vocabulary he needs to make reading easier.

Thats what I was wondering. We have put off formal grammar already and he is going to be 9 in September so I don't want to wait to long. It's hard because it seems everything is connected to his reading so I never know what or how much to introduce with him.