Menu

Noeo Chemistry 2 and The Elements by Ellen McHenry

jmccumbers

I am planning on doing Noeo Chemistry 2 with both of my kiddos next year, and I was wanting to add in the Elements book by Ellen McHenry. It looks GREAT! I've heard that all the encyclopedia readings in Noeo might get boring for some children. Has anyone added this Elements book to Noeo before that might have a schedule or advice?

• 1 year later...

:bigear:

I was thinking of ordering Physics 2, which could have the same issue as far as the encyclopedia. The only reason I was going to go with Physics over Chemistry is because of that book that is listed as out of print on Chem 2. I don't know what they are planning to do about it, but I thought we'd do the other while they work it out. :)

I am planning on doing Noeo Chemistry 2 with both of my kiddos next year, and I was wanting to add in the Elements book by Ellen McHenry. It looks GREAT! I've heard that all the encyclopedia readings in Noeo might get boring for some children. Has anyone added this Elements book to Noeo before that might have a schedule or advice?

OP, if your kids are currently 13 and 9 as indicated in your signature, you might want to consider Chem level 3, instead of level 2, for next year. 

The Usborne encyclopedia used in level 2 (the core of that level) is probably too simplistic for many 9 year olds (it was for my DS at that age) and will almost certainly bore your oldest one to tears.  Same for the other books in level 2, actually.  (Fizz, Bubble & Flash is pretty juvenile, IMO, and I wasn't impressed when I borrowed it.)  

Level 3 has books that are more age-appropriate and interesting, IMO, than the ones in level 2.  The DK Eyewitness Chemistry might be too much for your 9 year old but the others in that level should be fine.  FWIW, I bought level 3 for my DS when he was 11. 

If you can, I'd suggest checking your library for the books used in both levels and see what you think.  Granted, I'm only HS'ing one kid, but when one has multiple ages working together, I'm a big believer in catering first to the needs of the oldest and then adjusting as needed for youngers who are tagging along.  Especially when approaching high school.  Just my humble opinion.  :)

:bigear:

I was thinking of ordering Physics 2, which could have the same issue as far as the encyclopedia. The only reason I was going to go with Physics over Chemistry is because of that book that is listed as out of print on Chem 2. I don't know what they are planning to do about it, but I thought we'd do the other while they work it out. :)

I think you might be referring to Adventures with Atoms & Molecules.  If so, its available at Amazon.  Not sure why Noeo doesn't have it available currently.   http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Atoms-Molecules-Chemistry-Experiments/dp/0766012247/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1397748094&sr=1-1&keywords=adventures+with+atoms+and+molecules

When I bought Noeo Chem 3, I bought most of the books through other sources like Amazon where they were less expensive, and just got the IG from Noeo.  Even the Young Scientists Club kits are usually less expensive elsewhere, especially when you factor in shipping.  The IGs are the only true Noeo product, the rest they are just reselling from other publishers.  HTH. 

I think you might be referring to Adventures with Atoms & Molecules.  If so, its available at Amazon.  Not sure why Noeo doesn't have it available currently.   http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Atoms-Molecules-Chemistry-Experiments/dp/0766012247/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1397748094&sr=1-1&keywords=adventures+with+atoms+and+molecules

When I bought Noeo Chem 3, I bought most of the books through other sources like Amazon where they were less expensive, and just got the IG from Noeo.  Even the Young Scientists Club kits are usually less expensive elsewhere, especially when you factor in shipping.  The IGs are the only true Noeo product, the rest they are just reselling from other publishers.  HTH. 

Thank you!  I'm in Australia and had searched my regular source (Booko.com.au) but it didn't turn up.  Your link gave me the ISBN which worked.  I see it's available at Book Depository which will be cheaper for me than Amazon's international shipping.  (Actually, I just searched RR and they have it too!)  :hurray: I was just going to wait until Noeo had it again since it hadn't shown up on my search.  I doubt I could get YSC kits anywhere for cheaper (I see RR has those also but to get each kit I need for Noeo would be a bit much), but I always look up all the books to see what my best options are.

So now I have to decide...Chem or Physics? I'll have to ask the kids.  And which level or levels?  I was thinking of getting both levels one and two hoping my 9yo could work through level two on his own, but I bet he'll want to sit in on level one with the youngers.  :)

My son is 9, and we LOVED, LOVED, (did I say LOVED) The Elements. I also have the Encyclopedia as used in Noeo and used it for additional reading &  more explanation when needed. I found the encyclopedia to be unsatisfying and dry compared to The Elements. 

We are now working through The Brain, and again, it's fantastic!