Menu

Does anyone use Rainbow Science?

Yes...we did Year 1 last year and are using Year 2 this year.

My son loves it. The textbook is very colorful and the author is entertaining to read. We do two lessons per week from the text on Tuesdays & Thursdays and my husband does the lab assignment for that week on Saturdays.

I think it's a great program for middle schoolers -- definitely not meaty enough for high school though. So I'd say 6th-8th grade works well -- somewhere in that timeframe.

Two of my kids use it and we're not impressed. It's fine, but nothing too deep and many of the chem "labs" were worksheets. We also didn't have everything we needed. The website claims everything is included, but we've been missing several items

I give it an "eh."

YMMV

Two of my kids use it and we're not impressed. It's fine, but nothing too deep and many of the chem "labs" were worksheets. We also didn't have everything we needed. The website claims everything is included, but we've been missing several items

Spetzi, I've heard a few mention it didn't include *everything*. But can you be a bit more specific. I've heard others say there are some basic household items which are not included but sometimes needed.

We will probably give it a try next year for 7th grade science. If anyone is interested in selling part or all of their kits send me a message.

There is a thread, that of course I can't find, in which someone asks SWB about Rainbow Science. I do not think her endorsement is current. She gave specific reasons, but I can't remember what they are.

Maybe someone else has better search kung fu than I do tonight.

I'm not much help, but just wanted to say I remember reading that thread too, back when I was still just lurking. I believe your recollection is correct - something along the lines of Rainbow Science still had SWB's quote on their website even though she said she no longer endorsed it, but I don't remember why.

There is a thread, that of course I can't find, in which someone asks SWB about Rainbow Science. I do not think her endorsement is current. She gave specific reasons, but I can't remember what they are.

Maybe someone else has better search kung fu than I do tonight.

I take some of the critiques with a grain of salt. Maybe I'll feel differently after using it for a year. Most critiques seemed focused on level of rigor. But that's not really what I am looking for in middle school science. Rather I want to focus on developing a greater interest in science. Rigor will come soon enough in high school and beyond.

Here is a quote from SWB which I think has to be taken in context of her views of 'all' science curriculum at this level:

"In 1998, it(Rainbow Science) was the best (/only). I was less impressed with subsequent revisions.

Right now I'm pretty much unhappy with *all* the home school science options. On the elementary/middle levels, I think RS4K wins out for thoroughness and ease of use. I know that many people have issues with the RS4K author's positions on origins, but this is one of the issues keeping home school science courses out of development right now." SWB -- http://forums.welltr...w-science-site/

We're using it and like it! My DD has never complained about science once - and math/science are not her main gigs lol - well documented on this board! ;) I like how the lessons are short and sweet. She and I always discuss the notes in the TM (best one I've ever used in terms of covering the material briefly for the parent) and we do use the downloadable quizzes to give her slightly more 'incentive' to study/pay attention to the material. Thumbs up here from all of us (almost finished with year 1)! My youngers can't wait until it's their turn - they stalk all the labs ;)

We're using it and like it! My DD has never complained about science once - and math/science are not her main gigs lol - well documented on this board! ;) I like how the lessons are short and sweet. She and I always discuss the notes in the TM (best one I've ever used in terms of covering the material briefly for the parent) and we do use the downloadable quizzes to give her slightly more 'incentive' to study/pay attention to the material. Thumbs up here from all of us (almost finished with year 1)! My youngers can't wait until it's their turn - they stalk all the labs ;)

So what topics are covered in year 1. When I look at the scope and sequence I can't seem to understand what is studied in which year? I am guessing it physics and chemistry the 1st year and then biology and applications for the 2nd year. Is this correct?

So what topics are covered in year 1. When I look at the scope and sequence I can't seem to understand what is studied in which year? I am guessing it physics and chemistry the 1st year and then biology and applications for the 2nd year. Is this correct?

Yes...that's exactly what is covered

I purchased it for my 7th grade ds this past fall. I totally wasn't thinking. This is my hands-OFF ds. He hates anything with manipulatives, as in Rightstart math brought tears and MUS blocks were quickly discontinued with him. He has NEVER enjoyed a science experiment or a craft. But, for some reason I thought he would love this because of the short lessons since it was our first experience with a textbook. He hated it and chose Apologia General Science as a replacement. We are still working through Apologia, and while I think it is more work, ds would prefer the book/paper work over the Rainbow lab based science.

That said, I still think it is a good science program for many dc. My next ds would probably love it since he is more hands-on, but since that is a few years away, my Rainbow science is on the Classifieds board.

DS is in his second year with Rainbow, and has enjoyed it for the most part. He does the written work independently, then gets together to do the labs with two friends, so my own experience with it is pretty limited.

According to DS, the first three sections (physics, chemistry & biology) are really good, but he doesn't see anything in the fourth section that he doesn't already know.

• 1 month later...

Has anybody used it with younger kids? Any ideas why this might not be a good idea? Or what might MAKE it work?

My 5th grader is very 'into' science and loves being a spectator for her sister's labs. I think it could work for a 'science-oriented' 5th grader if you were willing to use the teacher manual to guide the questions and do the work orally - more like teacher-student discussions. You would probably need to do the labs together and I would skip the quizzes or make them open book/note. My 7th grader does it mostly independently but I wouldn't recommend that for a 5th grader.