Menu

Favorite science and history encyclopedias

Aspasia

Generally, I think it depends on the reading level that you're going for. I tend to think of Usborne as the easiest reading level, then Kingfisher and DK Eyewitness, with other DK encyclopedias approaching upper middle school to high school level, depending on the specific titles. Usborne tends to contain very short blurbs with nice illustrations. Kingfisher is slightly more narrative, generally, also nicely illustrated. Do you have specific titles in mind?

We have not found any we really like.

For history we have

The Usborne Encyclopedia of World History (borrowed from library) and it is a nice read, good overview but not substantial, more for the lower elementary

The Kingfisher History Encyclopedia, 3rd edition(borrowed from library) and it is more wordy, the font size is smaller and more information than the first book

DK HIstory: From the Dawn of Civilisation to the present day (owned). We bought this as a quick reference. It serves its purpose and is good for elementary history. This also has smaller font size.

For science we browse library copies of the science encyclopedias.

ETA:

This is what we have that is science related

DK First Animal Encyclopedia - we use that in kindergarten and we supplement with library books for older's kindergarten animal report for school.

DK The New Children's Encyclopedia - my boys use that in kindergarten too.

I really like DK books for science. Encyclopedia of Animals and the Dinosaurs books are our favorite. We also have a DK Children's Illustrated Encyclopedia, which covers quite a bit. I also love the DK encyclopedia simply titled Art. (which isn't science but i had to throw that in there) Usbourne's Prehistoric World is a favorite as well.