Menu

Rightstart Level A or B?

SFM

I am planning on beginning Rightstart with my daughter this Fall for K. We are going to be doing Singapore Essentials A and part of B the rest of the year ands Summer. So, I have read that you don't have to begin with A that B is the same as A that and that it just moves faster. So, do I purchase A or B?

It depends though on how "mathy" your K'er is. My daughter was great in A as a K'er, though we still went sort of quickly through it (maybe about six months to complete it?). DS5 would have found A way too easy as a K'er. As it is we are flying through B and will finish it in the next week or so...and that is not me trying to rush him....he just 'gets it' super fast and there is no need to dwell on a topic if he understands. If you are getting the sense that your DD just "gets" math, you might as well just go for B. Or if you are looking to be more budget conscious, B could be a good fit since you can just take it slow, play more games, etc and save yourself the expense of buying A as well.

I bought A first and started it with my oldest son in K. It was too slow so I bought B and it worked much better. With my current K'er, I just started out with B planning to take it slow. He's gotten to the point where I think I need to slow things down to really make sure he gets place value and I thought about going back to book A for a bit but we are already out of it! So A still sits on the shelf....

I vote for Level A as well.

FWIW, the RightStart placement test had suggested that I place my little man in Level B, but I decided to start with Level A. It was a great beginning, and I have no regrets. It seems to me that those who start with Level A tend to continue with the program longer.

I started ds on B and that worked well, he finished B and C and then 1/3 of D before we went to BA, we might go back to RS at some point with the publication schedule of BA. As I'm thinking of pulling different selections out on areas that are more challenging to him. I bought RSA for dd to do in K this year but we haven't done much as it seems to be pretty slow and I've been considering just starting her in B but doing it slowly. IRT my son and RS I had planned to stick with it but there wasn't near as much content in RSD as B and C and it was rather redundant and much more worksheet heavy in this level than previously.