Menu

"I don't believe in homeschooling"

NotSoObvious

While I appreciate your balanced approach, my statement was obviously very tongue in cheek.

Of course I know what she meant. It was in response to advice I had given to someone else who asked about homeschooling. It was followed with the entire socialization argument. It was a very typical, ignorant remark about homeschooling.

OK.

In my 13 years of homeschooling I've listened to lots of women being very upset by any comment against homeschooling and treating it as a personal insult or personal attack. I see other homeschoolers post articles about how all women should be fully approving of the all the choices all women make and recognizing it as all good yada yada yada. But that's silly. No one is entitled to anyone else's approval on anything. Absence of approval isn't an attack-yet somehow we have some hsers in our ranks that don't get that.

I've also heard women vent about being "attacked" because someone dared take the opposing view on homeschooling and then let it erode the relationship with the person who disagreed with them. So, no, it wasn't necessarily obvious to someone who has seen a lot of very different reactions to the same type of comments.