Menu

Suggestions for Speech-Language Apps for iPad?

My 4 year old daughter is in speech therapy for expressive and receptive delay. She is not making very good progress. I have been searching online for a great app to use when we are "out and about" with her to make wise use of the time. She has issues with prepositions, proper use of he or she as well as processing speed when asked questions.

***PLEASE do not tell me how simple this is to remediate. My child has a learning issue where these things do not come easy to her no matter HOW MANY times I review with her. She has a significant developmental delay. I am just trying to reach her and teach her in as many ways as possible. ****

BTW, we are in therapy for Occupational and Physical therapy.

Thanks,

Courtney

A Day with a Difference is decent for teaching comparisons (small/big, same/different, more/less, etc.)

The Make a Scene apps are some of my girls' favorites. They are great for just straight up noun vocabulary-building and my 4 year old has spent more time in these apps than any other app.

As for ones for the specific problems you are asking about, I don't know. I will be interested to see what suggestions you get, though.

I like Hamaguchi Apps. My boys loved First Phrases, Fun with Directions, and Picture the Sentence. All of these apps have Lite versions that cost 99 cents. The phrases in First Phrases are like "push the button", "pour the water", "cut the grass" etc.. It gives the child an opportunity to record themselves saying it and then the animation acts out the phrase. It was a huge hit with my very visual boys. Picture the Sentence is the least fun, but it's a very good way to work on receptive language.

Not a speech app, but a good one for targeting the things you listed would be my playhome. It would be one you would need to use with her. You can easily give her instructions to place the characters and items in different places. works very well for targeting positional concepts and he and she pronouns. Sort of like a barrier game. You can also have her take some turns giving you instructions on where to place things.

• 2 weeks later...