Menu

Losing hair

Night Elf

I have long hair that I wash about every 5 or 6 days. When I do wash it, it seems like more comes out than used to. My dd20 washes her hair every day and seems to have the same problem. I'm taking a multivitamin and vitamin D, but she isn't taking any kind of supplement. We aren't sure if this is normal or not. It's actually quite freaky. What vitamin or mineral might help with getting hair healthy?

You can search the WTM forum for previous discussions on this topic.

Stress is a common cause of hair loss.

You can get a thyroid (blood) test to determine if that is the cause.

Telogen Effluvium is the technical term for this.

It's difficult to control stress reactions, but over time, you should see improvement.

I had a lot of hair loss last summer when I lowered my carb intake. The hair loss stopped when I upped my carbs again.

This is exactly why I started taking the Biotin. After 3 months of a super low-carb diet, I noticed more hair in my hairbrush than usual. Once I started adding carbs back in slowly, the hair loss lessened as well.

• 2 months later...

My hair has come out in clumps when I wash it for years. Since before I had Adric, so more than 7 years. It doesn't seem to be a problem and there doesn't seem to be a reason why. My hair is still pretty thick so I just don't worry about it.