Menu

Working ahead: accommodation, cheating, or ??

SKL

Bill is right about needing to explain your answers but with your daughter's problems she should get some dispensation.

If they don't want you to use them they shouldn't give you access to the worksheets. I do wish our school at a text or something I could look up though as I really can not work out what my son is supposed to be learning and it drives me nuts.

I agree, it makes a lot of sense to teach math that way, but one doesn't start this suddenly 2/3 of the way through the 1st grade with a struggling student. I don't think the teacher's motivation had anything to do with what Bill was talking about. My advanced daughter in the same class is not asked to explain herself.

However, I feel inspired by this discussion and as I remediate (I'm going back to the beginning of 1A as time permits), I'll be pushing for her to articulate her reasoning.

Kiwik, good luck. Perhaps you could find out what text they use from the fine print on the margins of the worksheets, and see if you could track down the accompanying text somehow. It is frustrating when you don't know how to help until it starts to be too late.

New Zealand schools don't have the same system. They have a curriculum framework which is written in educalese and very basic standards then the teachers kind of pull stuff together from here and there. It works but it is harder to determine what they are doing.

Good luck and all the best. Keep on trucking and slowly work on the answer. My son told me he quessed the answer when I asked the other day which seemed unlikely given the question. Oh well.

I think cheating will be when you find testing material that the teacher will use and practice with your child. For example, you know there is a speed test and you pring the testing pasage and practice over and over raeding it with yoru child in order to speed up her reading.

NOT cheating - when you read a book that you would no idea will be read in class :)

Guest Jenn_Johnson

I am new to this forum but not new to this topic. I have not read through all of the replies as they are numerous.

My oldest child has accommodations. She is in a mainstream classroom. She has working memory and short term memory issues as a result of Epilepsy and Sensory Processing Disorder. She also has Asthma and Dyspraxia. Through all of this, she is a hard working child with a lot of friends.

She receives her spelling words at least 4 days prior to her peers. Some may say that such an accommodation gives her an unfair advantage over her classmates however, such is not the truth. She still struggles with spelling. She receives 15 words per week and although she does recognize the words and can read them, she is still unable to spell the majority of them correctly no matter what accommodation or strategy that she is given.

Jenn

*Please note, Iam a former Elementary School teacher, my husband and another family member are both current Special Education teachers, my mother, an aunt and two cousins are current teachers and my grandmother was a teacher also. Our grade ranges taught stretched from Kindergarten through 12 grade for those of us in General Education and those in Special Education, the range is birth through age 26. Everyone who is currently teaching is certified and highly qualified. My grandmother was certified as well as myself. Unlike me, my grandmother did not have the highly qualified designation as she retired in 1986.