Menu

Cursive for 1st grade

a27mom

My dd has completed HWOT K. She has fairly nice printing and I have read good things about starting cursive young. I think she would enjoy learning cursive. She doesn't have a ton of stamina for writing though because she is abit of a perfectionist and fairly young.

Any suggestions on curriculum to use for cursive for a 5/6 y/o? I like simple, preferably single workbook curriculum. ( Christian or secular doesnt matter)

I do not like HWT cursive. I used it for my two oldest children and won't be using it for my two youngest. It might be fast to learn but I don't think it promotes fluidity and in cursive that is very important. If your cursive isn't going to be fluid and smooth you might as well stick to manuscript or Italic.

Take a look a Reason for Handwriting.

I decided to go with Zaner-Bloser because I liked what I saw in the samples. I just ordered the grade 2 beginning cursive for my Ker for next year or the year after and the 4th and 5th grade books for my two oldest to try and correct some of the issues they have. Zaner-Bloser is similar to what they have learned in HWT in that not every lower case letter starts on the baseline (like D'Nealian). I decided that to change that would be an uphill battle. Plus, my cursive is most similar to Zaner Bloser (when I'm not writing in a cross between print and italic).

I strongly recommend reading Writing Road to Reading 6th edition and How to Tutor and Delightful Handwriting before deciding on a cursive curricula. You might not decide to use the Spalding lowercase cursive or the ZB uppercase manuscript, or teach in the order of How to Tutor, but at least you will see what explicit instruction looks like, that is aimed at early/remedial students.

3edd9415.jpg

What all do you purchase from abeka, it may be me but I feel like abeka's site is a little confusing about what all I would need (it's probably just me)? Hope I'm not intruding. Thanks

The Kindergarten K5 books are where we started. I used the Writing with Phonics K5 cursive workbook, the Kindergarten writing tablet K5 cursive and the Cursive Formation Flashcards. The Cursive formation flashcards might be optional, but they are large and my kids would use their finger and trace around the letter to see how the letter was made before writing it on the paper.

We also used the number writing workbooks as well. It is really an extra, but my kids have beautiful number formation.

We are still using Abeka cursive penmanship. We are in the 3rd grade book now. My kids have beautiful cursive handwriting.