Menu

gluten free? need pita bread substitution

Sunshine State Sue

I've gone gluten free at home. I've found some substitutions:

millet-flax bread instead of hamburger buns

brown rice tortillas instead of whole wheat tortillas

but I haven't figured out what to do about pita bread. Sigh. I had just learned how to make my own. I am making falafel later this week. I can just eat it alone or I could toss it on a piece of millet-flax bread. Are there any other alternatives?

Thanks!

I was going to suggest socca 'till I realized you wanted to use it for falafel...seeing as socca is a garbanzo bean flour flatbread/crepe-type thing, it may be a bit of garbanzo overkill...lol. But it is easy to make and delicious for other things. I love to pile lettuce, onions, feta cheese, balsamic vinegar, etc. on top. Or an egg scramble with spinach and other yummy stuff.

i have been using a variation of this flat bread as pita - i've used it with hummus and souvlaki, i've used it with felafal - i used a raw chickpea felafel recipe, no flour.

http://glutenfreegobsmacked.com/2007/07/gf-wrap-sandwich-success/

i let mine rise once before i spread it, but i use a different flour mix - i cant do rice or tapioca. but try it!! I cook it on ungreased parchment paper, and spread the dough with the back of a spoon repeatedly dipped in water, and spray the top w non-stick spray 2-3 times during the process.

i have been using a variation of this flat bread as pita - i've used it with hummus and souvlaki, i've used it with felafal - i used a raw chickpea felafel recipe, no flour.

http://glutenfreegob...ndwich-success/

i let mine rise once before i spread it, but i use a different flour mix - i cant do rice or tapioca. but try it!! I cook it on ungreased parchment paper, and spread the dough with the back of a spoon repeatedly dipped in water, and spray the top w non-stick spray 2-3 times during the process.

I've made this several times. It is flexible and crumb-free!! :) :) :) We wrap it around all kinds of things. Super easy to make.

Where do you buy the different kinds of flours? Dn has celiacs and doesn't have much storage space

My local grocery store carries most of them. I also get some of them at the health food store, and a local store that caters to gf, organic, healthy lifestyles.

Someplace like whole foods should have most of them, You can also order online from amazon, vitacost, and other sources.

its funny, my whole foods has been carrying fewer and fewer flours and instead carrying more and more mixes. I buy some flours at whole foods, some at the upscale grocery store, some at the smaller, independent health food store, and occasionally i order some from amazon - mostly if i've been having trouble finding a specific one. Storage could be an issue - we have a lot of space so its not too bad for me.