Menu

Prima Latina for 4th grader?

LAmom

Well, I'm using it now! We just began a couple weeks ago. I had the total intention of using it before now but it seems good for her. We may actually get through this before the year is over and be able to begin another book.

ETA: we also use the cursive copywork on off days to review the previous lesson. She loves it!

I did Prima Latina with a 5th grader, and it was great. A bit easy for him, but on the other hand, I didn't want it to be difficult...didn't want him hating it.

Christiana Latina uses alot of the same vocab, so it's kinda step 2. It's okay to start there, but it gets more into the declensions, etc. Personally, I think a little complicated and abstract for a younger elementary student, depending on the student.

I disagree with the statement that "translation is the fun part of Latin" for young elementary. For my children, just the fun was using Latin words in our daily language to replace the English words. Prima Latina Vocab is often words that you'd use on a regular basis. The workbook work is light, not too intensive or complicated, enough to review the lesson and get it set in the brain. I think it's a perfect into to Latin.....Latin gets complicated at older levels, and older children can often handle it fine, with the right base. Let the "fun translation" happen at that point. :)

Do you think your others will want to come along for the ride (maybe orally -- with no written work or tests)? If so, I'd go with Prima. It is super gentle.

LC would be fine if you just plan on doing it with your oldest. (The first part of LC is a review of PL.)

If you want something really gentle & easy -- that's Prima.

If you want something that will go a bit farther (while not being THAT hard), LC fits the bill.