Menu

Biblioplan Users: Bring it!

I just took the plunge and ordered the Highest level of Biblioplan Medieval.

Any suggestions for using this with a large family is appreciated.

I ordered the Coloring Pages and Craft kit to use with our littles.

My biggest fear is that it won't be challenging enough for High School. I have looked at Biblioplan several times in the past but I see that they have alot more to offer now.

I know I can send it back, but I know I do not want to. I tried SL World and it was just too much of what I did not want, the books for read aloud were not going well either.

We have not read alot of the books on this book list, although we do have some. I am going to look at the book list again today.

Are Discussion questions included for Rhetoric stage? Writing assignments?

ANY suggestions?

I really like Biblioplan. I am not currently using it- but I do think they have really done a great job with all the improvements. My problem with it was reigning in my spending on books. I just knew I couldn't stay within our budget and use it. I believe there are writing assignments and other things for high school. I am not sure about rhetoric questions. There is an active yahoo group and they are available to help and answer questions. I thought their book choices were great and meaty. When we used it, my littles really enjoyed listening and coloring the coloring pages.

HTH,

Rebecca

I just took the plunge and ordered the Highest level of Biblioplan Medieval.

Any suggestions for using this with a large family is appreciated.

I ordered the Coloring Pages and Craft kit to use with our littles.

My biggest fear is that it won't be challenging enough for High School. I have looked at Biblioplan several times in the past but I see that they have alot more to offer now.

I know I can send it back, but I know I do not want to. I tried SL World and it was just too much of what I did not want, the books for read aloud were not going well either.

We have not read alot of the books on this book list, although we do have some. I am going to look at the book list again today.

Are Discussion questions included for Rhetoric stage? Writing assignments?

ANY suggestions?

I am using BP year 2 next year with MOH II and Smarr Medieval Lit. I don't have the material in hand yet so I am looking forward to the replies you get.

Jean,

You are an inspiring woman!

Now, I ordered TOG 2 last Spring to look at and sent it back as I was due in June and having a terribly debilitating pregnancy. I had a blood clot and could barely function or walk.

One reason I thought I would like it was because of all of the Literature and questions it had for the whole family. I guess hormones and shell shocked husband at all of the books I wanted made me drop it and I sold it on here no problem.

Oh, and I saw that a wonderful mom of 10 was using TOG : That really got my attention!

I wish I had just kept it and muddled through but did not so after being reminded of BP I went to do some more research.

To me, BP looks like a lesser loaded down version of TOG with more flexibility and great literature too.

Jean: What is Smarr Medieval Lit?

Thanks for all of the posts so far :) I am having a problem searching on here and better results still come up with a google search leading to the forum.

We will be using BP for HS for youngest next year (9th). My other two used MFW Ancient and World History. One will finish with BP, the other will be using another Hist. for her last year. Had we found BP 3 years ago,we would have continued to all study the same time period at the various individual learning levels right through HS. BP has updated supplements for HS in the last couple years, which IMO put them in the running for what I was looking for in a HS Curricula.

We used Sonlight together when girls were younger and loved it, but found it didn't work well when eldest started HS. Actually, due to differing learning styles and reading appetites, BP would have been great to have around from beginning to end. I love the Companion and optional Spines with living history books, church history and bible added. It is very easy to sub books (readers) as desired. With the maps & timelines, cool history and quizzes, my youngest's retention has soared!

There are writing assignments, but no real instruction .I would call them writing prompts. We use another writing program (IEW - love it) and this fits perfectly with BP for us. We do the same for lit. analysis. All in all, we have found BP to be a wonderful way to study history. It is affordable, flexible and you can keep all your kiddos on the same page of history while tailoring to their learning styles and ability, which makes all of the discussion, read-alouds, and the rest all that much more fun!

I'm using BP Year 2, so let me discuss high school first. Dd does the weekly work independently as far as the history and maps go. There are fill-in-the blank, short answer, and short essay questions (really a sentence or two answer). There's also a research essay every week, but I don't assign all of them. The guide is a hodge podge of information and reads more like an encyclopedia than a textbook, IMO. I have her reading Glencoe's World History along with it. After she finishes each unit in BP, I assign the corresponding chapter or sections in Glencoe. I feel it will be another perspective on the material and give it more continuity and flow. She does some discussion with her dad, but there are no discussion questions provided for any of the literature. The tests are literally word for word from the weekly work. That has been the most disappointing thing to me. I wanted objective grades, though. I've used some literature guides, but I'm also having her read some in a World Literature anthology because I want her to have some short stories and poetry.

I used Year 1 last year with both kids. I used Glencoe then, and I used My Father's World's Literature supplement. I don't have a big family, but Ive mostly just used SOTW and the AG for my younger son. I do follow BP's order so that they are on the same topic if something comes up that I want to do together, such as watch a documentary.