Menu

DD7 just read a book in an hour

My DD7 is having a hard time falling asleep tonight, so after she came to tell me about it, I handed her the 191-page book The Borrowers Afloat by Mary Norton. She just came back about an hour later saying she's read the whole thing. Poor thing had to tell me she wasn't making it up after I repeatedly said "no way".

I figured it would be a little bit challenging for her, or just about at-level for her. I had to inclination she's finish it in an hour.

She's always been a good reader, so now I feel like I've been short changing her. What do you suggest I do from here? Suddenly the unit on Mr. Popper's Penguins seems silly. Well, the reading part is easy, but the lapbook unit I downloaded for free from a website has nice things about science, language, and social studies.

My dd7 has been displaying a similar reading ability, but I've found that she continues to enjoy good books written below her reading level. I would think she'd love to read and study Mr. Popper's Penguins. I think that it helps to mix it up -- give her some challenging reads and some easy ones, but maintain a consistent quality.

By the way, have you read "Deconstructing Penguins?" It may give you ideas for enriching her study of books, as well as give you ideas for great books for her to read.

My son reads faster than I do, and he can finish a Rick Riordan book in a couple days (I didn't realize how THICK those books were until we got one from the library... he usually reads them on his Kindle!).

I don't worry about challenging his reading level or anything like that. He enjoys reading below his level (which is who knows where - I've never given him something he couldn't read). He is 8.5 and has read the LOTR trilogy, but he still enjoys the picture books I bring home for the younger kids. :D He also LOVED Mr.Popper's Penguins at that age, so I'm sure your DD will enjoy the study anyway. :)

Ooo, I loved that stage! So many good books written at or just above that level!!

You are in for an exciting ride.

Dd went thru a stage where her ability to read outstripped her readiness for more mature content. I haven't seen or used it for a while, but you might enjoy some of the selections from Chinaberry Books. They always have a section for kids like my dd.