Menu

Singapore, Standards or US Edition and why?!

acsnmama

I've used US Edition so far, and we're currently doing 2a/2b this year, after completing 1a/1b US Edition last year.

I am now realizing I was under the misconception of the differences after reading here, and it seems like Standards is the way to go, but why?

The cost is MORE. I know the CA requirements are in the Standards edition. Is this more advanced/extra math?

How do they compare? Is it really worth the extra cost??

I also noticed there are tests available for the Standards Edition. Do you use the tests?

I have always wondered this as well. I have been using US Edition and have been hearing that Standards Edition offered more review (which I feel like my son can benefit from). Long story short, when I just re-ordered for 3B I ordered both SE and US so I can see and feel and look and compare for myself. Not sure what we will do yet, I will let you know. Seeing as I am not overly "mathy" I feel like the extra hand holding might be beneficial for us.

So, I am listening in with you! :)

There are quite a few threads about the difference every year :)

1. Std is full color. I believe US is black and white after 2nd grade

2. Standard has way more build in reviews. Simply look at how many pages in US compar to Standard. You get a lot more with standard edition.

3. Home instruction guide. Standard does way better job in HIG than US.

4. In later grade standard covers a lot more. probability, negative number...those are not in US scope.

There has been a little bit of discussion on this thread, too.

I think that the number one reason to go with SE is the Home Instructor's Guide. The HIG for the SE was written by the same author after she wrote the US edition, and she took into account homeschoolers' feedback in the writing of the HIG. The SE HIG is therefore considered by many (including the author) to be a superior choice for most homeschoolers.

There has been a little bit of discussion on this thread, too.

I think that the number one reason to go with SE is the Home Instructor's Guide. The HIG for the SE was written by the same author after she wrote the US edition, and she took into account homeschoolers' feedback in the writing of the HIG. The SE HIG is therefore considered by many (including the author) to be a superior choice for most homeschoolers.

Totally agree, here. I think Standards is the way to go for the HIGs alone.

Totally agree, here. I think Standards is the way to go for the HIGs alone.

I agree.

One note - the HIG for US 1 is formatted the same way as all the Standards HIGs. So, if you are using US 1 and like the HIGs, you will want to switch to standards to continue with that format. US Levels 2 and up for US are in a less user-friendly format.

One note - the HIG for US 1 is formatted the same way as all the Standards HIGs. So, if you are using US 1 and like the HIGs, you will want to switch to standards to continue with that format. US Levels 2 and up for US are in a less user-friendly format.

Well, this answers my question. Thank you! :)

I prefer the Standards edition, but it is not perfect.

Reasons it is better enough to switch:

• Textbooks are in full color for all grades
  • The HIGs are much better
  • Reviews are much better distributed (after each chapter)

Reasons it is not perfect:

• In aligning it with the CA standards, some topics are added. The added topics aren't nearly as well thought out as the original topics.
  • It is more expensive (as you mentioned)

are there issues switching in say 4th grade? geez, how could I just be finding out about this after 12 years of SM using US ed. If I switch in 4th or 3rd will there be any gaps, like things US didb't cover and standards did?

If you want to switch, you can check out the scope and sequence comparison. Some things may have been covered in SE that weren't in the US edition -- it seems that some of the estimation work and numbers to 10,000 crop up earlier in the SE, so there may be a few concepts that you'd want to spend some extra days on.

are there issues switching in say 4th grade? geez, how could I just be finding out about this after 12 years of SM using US ed. If I switch in 4th or 3rd will there be any gaps, like things US didb't cover and standards did?

I read on their website that after level 2 (I think - you should check) that you ought to finish both A & B sections of whatever year you are in before switching to the next level. In other words, don't switch mid-year. This is just what I read on the Singapore website. I don't have any experience.