Menu

Long Division with Two Digit Divisors

PachiSusan

If you have to do long division by hand with a 2-or-more digit divisor, I recommend starting with a "counting by" list in the margin of your paper or white board. For instance, today my daughter had to divide by 32 in the middle of a pre-algebra problem, so she listed:

When you get up to ten times the number, you know you've gone far enough. You can really stop at 9 times, or even just go up as far as you need to recognize how many will go into the first step of your division. My daughter actually stopped at 192, because that gave her what she needed to know, but I finished the list here as a demonstration.

Now, it's easy to see what 3 of your number will be, or 7 of it, or however many will go into whatever you are dividing...

Trick..... Say you have 564 divided by 24 ask about how many times does 2 go in to 5 (2 is the first number in 24 and 5 is the first number in 564). The answer will be usually one less or one more. So for this problem 2 goes in to 5 2 times. Just make sure she puts the answer over the 6. Continue the problem this way only using the first number to divide. I know this sounds a bit confusing but it really helped my son with long division.

Susan Khan

my younger son just rocks at math. long division has been his very least favorite part of math, ever. He hated it and didnt understand it. i even asked dh the mathematician if there is any other way to do it, and he said no. We just did 2-3 problems a day for a week, and took a break for a month, and revisited again. Today he had to do a 2 digit in to 4 digit in a different program and asked if he could use a calculator and i said no . .and he wailed . . and i brought him pencil and paper and he wailed . . and i drew the little frame for the problem and he said "Oh, that." and did it no trouble. well, except he confused the remainder and the quotient.