Menu

Is IEW independent or teacher intensive?

catherine smith

It is teacher intensive until they learn how to do it independently. :). That's not much help is it? For my daughter, who is in 5th grade, I let her take notes by herself, we brainstorm some vocabulary and ideas for dress ups, then she writes a paragraph by herself. We then discuss what could be better and fix it. Then the next day we start on the second paragraph. I think it depends on the age of your child, but I would think that most any writing curriculum would require some modeling at the beginning. Maybe some other IEW users will chime in with the ages that independence occurs. We are not completely there yet but are working toward it.

I have a 2nd and 3rd grader in SWI-A. It's very teacher intensive, but only because my children respond better to my teaching versus the video. We take a lot of time going over the key word outline - teacher led. We spend time orally making up different sentences for each outline. We spend even more time going over the dress-ups. When it actually comes to the writing, they are pretty much on their own. We've spent so much time up front they don't need much help when it comes to the writing. I expect it to get less teacher-led as we go along and they internalize the writing process.

Very teacher intensive for my 3rd grader, but I think any good writing program will be so at his age. Even with the SWI-A videos, it's still teacher intensive. I just get a freebie on the day that there is a video. The other models for that lesson are not on the video, so I have to walk my child through them, helping him do the KWO and brainstorm for dressups.

It's very teacher intensive, but I can't imagine any curriculum not being teacher intensive when it comes to teaching writing. Even if a program gives the student instructions to do on their own, the teacher will have to do a lot in terms of editing, revising, helpful hints to improve things, etc.

It is less teacher intensive if you do the Student Intensives on DVD. We did this with my 6/7th grader. I needed something more independent and we watched the DVDs together and then I had her pace herself on the assignment throughout the week, coming to me for eventual "grading" or help if she had questions. For most of the week, she was pretty independent. If you just use the TWSS OR any of the theme based materials, it is very teacher intensive, not independent.

Hope this helps!

Paula

We are using SWI-A now, and it's almost 100% independent. Ds watches the instructional DVD, then I assign a few assignments and just check to make sure he's doing the work correctly. Because I'm not familiar with IEW methods, I do occasionally watch part of the DVD with ds or watch TWSS so I am familiar with what ds should be doing.