Menu

Late to the game... seeing Argo the movie...

Stacia

Ds & I finally got to go see Argo tonight. We both really enjoyed it. There is some really great acting in this film.

I was my ds' age during the actual Iranian hostage crisis. I lived in the D.C. area then. I found it fascinating to see all the props, the yellow ribbons, the news clips from back then, etc.... Such memories from my childhood. Of course, it has led to some great discussion (both before & after the film) about history/politics from then too.

Ds said he really liked that there was a lot of tension in the film without shots being fired (unlike so many movies).

I'm sure many of you have seen it already, but if not, I think it's worth seeing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w918Eh3fij0

Our family loved the movie, but I find myself wishing they had stuck to the real story. They eliminated the real drama (when the group left the embassy and what happened), one major player at that time, and added all that drama at the end that didn't actually happen. Plus, of course, they made the powers that be (deciding upon a plan) at the beginning to seem like idiots. That didn't happen either. Google the true story if you'd like to see how it truly happened. It sure was movie worthy - they just changed it for some reason - to Hollywoodize it I suppose.

When a movie is based upon a true story, I really wish it would stay closer to what happened. Many people will watch it and assume that WAS the true story.

Just my two cents.

Stacia, we were in Iran off and on during that time. We loved this movie and thought it was very well done. Yes, some of it was exaggerated, which, for the sake of Hollywood, is to be expected. But all in all, a fabulous film.

I was meaning to ask you if you were there then. Things must have been scary/anxious just from the large upheaval....

We know it is exaggerated/changed for the "Hollywood" version (some of the discussion we had before & after the movie), but I think it's a good film for younger people to see (who are young enough that they don't remember or know about it), just to give them an introduction to the times. I am very glad we finally saw it.

The mountains around Tehran are gorgeous.

What was that large building they showed a couple of times in the movie? Looked like a tall monument or something where the main part of the building split out into four legs/supports? Sorry -- my description is not great, but maybe you'll know what I'm talking about. :tongue_smilie:

Here's all the filming info for Argo:

http://jerrygarrett.wordpress.com/2012/10/12/where-was-argo-filmed/

They were quite creative with the filming.

I agree it was a good movie. I just think they could have made it even better by sticking more to what really happened.

And being in Iran when it happened is quite the history to have lived through IMO.

Things must have been scary/anxious just from the large upheaval....

Stacia, yes, those were anxious times. Things just got worse and worse and now they're very bad once again, especially for Baha'is.

The mountains around Tehran are gorgeous.

Yes, I miss those mountains. We used to go skiing every week. We had a gorgeous view of those mountains from our home. Tehran now has a terrible pollution problem.

What was that large building they showed a couple of times in the movie?

That building was designed by a Baha'i architect, and since the number 9 is one of the holy numbers by Baha'is, there's lots of "nine"s in that structure. Few know about that. If they did, I'm sure they would have destroyed it by now. When I was there, it was more like a museum. I don't know how it's used now.

246ef083685d2a39ac8bc3eb7d6b7ba9.jpg

242540bef37912481eedce63b8c79681.jpg

You might be interested in my Iran board on Pinterest.

That was neat to read. Thanks for the link!

Stacia, yes, those were anxious times. Things just got worse and worse and now they're very bad once again, especially for Baha'is.

Yes, I miss those mountains. We used to go skiing every week. We had a gorgeous view of those mountains from our home. Tehran now has a terrible pollution problem.

That building was designed by a Baha'i architect, and since the number 9 is one of the holy numbers by Baha'is, there's lots of "nine"s in that structure. Few know about that. If they did, I'm sure they would have destroyed it by now. When I was there, it was more like a museum. I don't know how it's used now.

You might be interested in my Iran board on Pinterest.

I am sorry to hear how hard it is for Baha'is there. http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/grouphug.gif

Wow, you must miss your mountain views. Truly gorgeous mountains. I bet you miss skiing too! What fun it must have been to be able to go skiing often. Sadly, I think many of the world's large cities create & have terrible pollution problems.

Yes, that is the building. The photo you posted is great. What a neat building. I wonder what it is used for today? I do hope it's not destroyed. Too many of the world's & history's heritage pieces have been destroyed by extremists &/or wars. Recently, it seems like Timbuktu has suffered some massive cultural losses (texts & manuscripts, as well as shrines) in Mali. Perhaps the building you pictured will endure to see better days in Iran.

Love your Pinterest board. I had fun looking at it -- thank you for sharing it.

We liked this movie a lot, too. The only reason I saw for the R rating was the language (a plethora of F-bombs, including a running joke throughout the movie using a play on words with the title of the movie), but the tension is definitely PG-13.

I am sorry to hear how hard it is for Baha'is there.

Thank you. :grouphug:

Wow, you must miss your mountain views.

Yes, I really do miss those mountains and having four seasons, which we don't have where I live. I have to admit that I myself never enjoyed skiing, but the rest of my family loved it. I love winter, but not skiing.

Love your Pinterest board. I had fun looking at it -- thank you for sharing it.

Thanks again. :grouphug: