Menu

Church of England - Communion

Giraffe

I am probably going to visit an Anglican (COE) church this weekend and wondered what to expect. I'm having trouble finding info online (I probably just don't know where to look). May I take communion (I'm a Presbyterian)? Will DD be able to come and stay with me for the service (she's 5)? What is the service like?

If I makes a difference, I'm not going to be in England, but in Turkey.

Thanks!

Are you by any chance going to be in Istanbul? I've been to two Anglican churches there.

No, Izmir. Now that it looks like we'll be here a good long while, I'm trying to find a church. The church we used to go to got a little to charismatic for us, looking for something more traditional, less "hearing spirits".

If your dd has not had communion instruction, have her cross her arms and bow her head when you kneel to the communion. She will receive a blessing. The priest will touch her head probably so you may want to tell her that might happen.

Thank you! Good to know.

No, Izmir. Now that it looks like we'll be here a good long while, I'm trying to find a church. The church we used to go to got a little to charismatic for us, looking for something more traditional, less "hearing spirits".

You might try calling the British embassy in Istanbul. There is a small church on the embassy grounds. (I'm pretty sure it was the embassy, not the consulate.) The priest there is or was (it's been a long time) also at the Crimean Church in Istanbul. My impression is that the Anglicans and related churches form a relatively small, tight community -- they might be able to help you with something in Izmir.

About communion. Some Anglican churches will want you to believe in the 'real presence,' while others welcome any baptized Christian to receive, and so on. My experience is that in countries where Christianity is a minority religion, Anglicans are just so glad to see you that questions are not asked.

They give instructions at our village church for those just wanting a blessing--we take the days program forward with us. Every C of E we have attended explains how to be blessed very clearly. We are Presbyterian also and taking communion is fine because both believe in the trinity. Also should be a member in good standing at another trinitarian church.

Our village has a Sunday School where the children leave right before the sermon and return for communion. My dc's have never attended they prefer the sermon which is fine.

We have really learned to love the services at the village church. At first it seemed like a lot of paperwork. We are used to one piece of paper which has everything including the words to the hymns. We receive a hymnal, an anouncement sheet, and a prayer book when entering the church. Don't worry if you can't figure out which is next because they truly understand. Our vicar announced page numbers for our family the first few times we attended--they know it can be confusing. Definately give it more then one chance because our first time seemed very difficult. Obviously small place. Our village church is reformed so a very comfortable place to be after we learned to negotiate the purely technical differences. I hope you enjoy your visit.

When I was growing up, I would sometimes visit the Episcopalian church with my mom and/or her relatives. I was told that any baptized Christian was welcome to receive. Later I found out that as a Catholic, I wasn't supposed to take communion outside of Catholic Masses, but that's a rule imposed by the Vatican and only applies to Catholics.

I've found the Anglican Church, it's next door to the British Consulate. I just hope we're welcome and fit with them personality-wise, given that we're not Anglican. Hard to explain.

Well, maybe this will help. Years ago (I don't know if it is still true), Anglicans were allowed (special dispensation) to receive communion in Roman Catholic churches in many countries in Europe, IF there was no Anglican church nearby. When there are no/few options of your exact denomination, related denominations are often very welcoming.

FWIW, this is what I would do. I would attend the church one Sunday without receiving communion. Then, if I liked the church, I would call the priest/rector (whatever title he/she has) and ask about communion. Anglicans should believe in the 'Real Presence.' Some priests (a minority) will be very strict about this, while others (the majority) will allow you to receive anyway (probably hoping that you will come to their way of thinking). They walk a line between upholding doctrine and being welcoming.

As to what to expect from the service, there may be some kind of leaflet in the pews that describes the day's service. Anglicans can do either Morning Prayer (no communion) or a service of Eucharist (communion) or start with MP and finish with the Eucharist. It is now normative to have communion every Sunday, but some churches will just do Morning Prayer on Sundays to accommodate older, traditional parishioners.

There should also be a prayer book (Book of Common Prayer) and a hymnal in the pews. The actaul service used could be in traditional language (doth, hath) or in modern language. It could be be said (spoken) or sung, which usually indicates whether a church is High (sort of RC like) or Low (more Protestant like). BTW, High and Low is about doctrine, not about how elaborate or simple a service is -- a lot of people get this confused. High churches tend to focus on the Real Presence in communion, Low churches, not so much. And there are also Broad churches -- confusing, huh? BTW, these are not strict demarcations, like Reform or Conservative Judaism. They are more tendencies, and people do not usually refer to them; I wouldn't come out and ask directly -- it could sound a bit too political. But I just wanted to give you an idea of how varied Anglicanism can be, in case you did not already know. I'm thinking you'll be very welcome.

Children are welcome in Anglican churches. If the church has a Sunday school of some sort, no doubt there will be a helpful person or a busybody who will attempt to sweep up your child. You are allowed to say that she will stay with you.

When I was growing up, I would sometimes visit the Episcopalian church with my mom and/or her relatives. I was told that any baptized Christian was welcome to receive. Later I found out that as a Catholic, I wasn't supposed to take communion outside of Catholic Masses, but that's a rule imposed by the Vatican and only applies to Catholics.

Ditto. My dd sometimes attends an episcopalian church with her best friend. She was told there that she could take communion (I advised her otherwise when she came home). Made things a bit awkward when her episcopalian friend came to Mass with us and isn't able to take communion...

Luckily, best friend is a super great girl and took it in stride - received her blessing with a smile on her face.

Ditto. My dd sometimes attends an episcopalian church with her best friend. She was told there that she could take communion (I advised her otherwise when she came home). Made things a bit awkward when her episcopalian friend came to Mass with us and isn't able to take communion...

Luckily, best friend is a super great girl and took it in stride - received her blessing with a smile on her face.

This reminds me that you can also receive a 'blessing' in the Episcopal/Anglican church. You go up to communion but keep your arms crossed, with each hand on the opposite shoulder. The priest will then make the sign of the cross over you and give a blessing. I see this more in High churches -- people who feel they should have made a confession will go for a blessing. In Low churches, people who do not want to receive just stay in their seats. Maybe a generality -- it's what I have observed.

But, be forewarned -- in some churches, going up for a blessing is not that common, so the priest may not notice and try to give you communion anyway. You can then shake your head gently and ask for just a blessing, please. With little kids, priests often ask if they receive yet and then proceed with communion or blessing.