Menu

Colonial Williamsburg - need info!

StaceyinLA

There are several things you can see by just walking around. All the good stuff takes a ticket though. We've done it both ways.

The Governor's Palace, the Capita and the interpreters all require a ticket. Many shops, grounds and Bruton Parrish are all free. I know I'm missing a lot of stuff. We were there on Christmas Eve to see the decorations and could see them renovating (or building) a new structure. Think something the size of an shed to us. We could see them and watch them all we wanted from the street, but since we didn't have tickets, we couldn't get close enough to hear them or ask questions. The build was in costume and being done using colonial methods so it would have been really neat.

Prices depend on the tickets you get. And if possible, wait for homeschool days. I think my homeschool days tickets were less than what we paid for 2 adult tickets during non-homeschool days. I haven't gone and paid in years so I couldn't tell you prices.

You can't drive around inside at all, but you can certainly park and walk around. We've done it different ways, sometimes we've bought tickets and done everything, and sometimes we go for just an hour or two and to walk around and have lunch. For a short visit IMHO, it isn't worth buying a ticket.

You park and walk around. There are several things that are free. Someone else can chime in, but I am almost certain that the re-enactments done in the streets are free. They were excellent.

Some of the lectures where someone is in costume were on the boring side.

Homeschool days are such a huge savings. I know there is one about the second week of September. We stayed at the Powhatan (can't remember if that is the correct spelling) Resort through VRBO and it was an excellent value--same cost or less than a hotel room with 2 bedrooms, full kitchen, living room, hot tub in the condo, then access to really nice pools, etc.

If you're going for a special trip, it's worth getting the ticket. If you can go during homeschool days, it's not too crowded and much cheaper.

But other than the ticket, just being there won't cost you anything. You can bring in your own food and eat outside. There's no extra costs. And there are souvenirs, of course, but it's not like being at some places where you feel inundated and everything is expensive junk that the kids are likely to pester you for.

Any of the tours and building require a ticket. As a pp said, if you just want to go for a short bit don't buy a ticket. When are you going?

Starting during traditional spring break times the activity in Williamsburg increases considerably. There are a lot more interpreters and presentations. Also, there are times when certain areas, sometimes entire streets, are closed to those without tickets.

If you go to group sales, you can get discounted tickets for homeschoolers. Group sales is located to the right before you go down the steps to the visitors center and ticket sales area.

Be aware that there is the option to rent colonial period costumes for kids. My kids wanted to do this so badly. The prices are truly outrageous.

Educators ( we havent been in 2 years but used to go every year). get a 50% discount on admission ( that is you and dh) if you have an ID with both names on it. We used our HSLdA card. You also get 15% off on all gift shops and shops in CW.

The first year we went, we just walked around and it was pretty dull. Check out this blog for things to do in CW.

http://homeschoolblogger.com/teacupsinthegarden/