Menu

Gifted or not?

africanmom3

Someone recently told me that I should read about OE in gifted kids after I described a few things about my 5yr old daughter. I have read several articles about this, but I'm still confused as to how I know for sure she is gifted or whether she's just extra sensitive. She does fit several of the 5 areas (but not the intellectual one, mostly physical and emotional).

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but I don't want to miss anything that would help me understand her better.

Can anyone suggest some resources that can help me? Or just some real definitive been-there-had-that-experience advice?

Aside from actual professional testing, here is a list of character traits that might help. (I have correctly relied on my intuition about ability, but my kids tend to be a bit 2e-ish, so we get professional testing anyway).

Also consider whether what seem to be OEs might be sensory processing issues, whether they rise to the level of actual Sensory Processing Disorder or not.

It is an unpopular view but if you can, test. It is such a huge relief to stop second guessing yourself and start making a plan. I went through the should I/shouldn't I for over a year. That said at 5 you need to make sure the test is ok for that age.

The testing stops the guessing. If you aren't second guessing, and feel you are meeting your child where they need to be met already, then you probably won't get much out of testing.

If you are constantly second guessing the giftedness, or curriculum choices because of confusion of where the child needs to be met, then testing can help.

Just my 2 cents.

I am not anti-testing, but I have a similar situation to you and we have opted to not test our 5 yo dd. She is extremely bright and extremely sensitive. I tried to discuss this with her pediatrician and she was sent to OT for sensory issues, but it didn't help. I did enjoy the book Sensational Kids, but honestly I don't think she has a sensory integration problem, I think she is just highly sensitive to everything and very perceptive.

Knowing for sure that she was "gifted" wouldn't change the way we parent her or homeschool her, so we have not gone that route. Even if she were to test "non-gifted" she would still be sensitive and we have to help her learn to navigate through a very stimulating world. I do believe in OE in the gifted, I am just not sure test results would help us deal any better with the day to day issues.

In regards to sensitivities, I have noticed during more stressful times or illness my dd become much more sensitive and difficult to deal with. We have tried to reduce her stress levels and her "sensitivities" have become much more manageable. I am thinking about doing some yoga with her since we've found gymnastics and swimming to be quite stress reducing for her (I've heard this from multiple other "sensitive" kids' parents). We are trying to teach her to recognize when she is getting overwhelmed and find something calming to do.

My dd is quite challenging on days, but my dh and I try to think of the positive aspects of being sensitive. Highly sensitive people just see the world differently.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have been reading and reading, and I think that we will skip the testing and just work at being aware and understanding. I find myself intently watching now to see how my daughter perceives and reacts to everything. Seems like there is something everyday that makes me say to myself, "Hmmm, what is going on in that little mind of hers." Thank you all so much for your in put!

I am not anti-testing, but I have a similar situation to you and we have opted to not test our 5 yo dd. She is extremely bright and extremely sensitive. I tried to discuss this with her pediatrician and she was sent to OT for sensory issues, but it didn't help. I did enjoy the book Sensational Kids, but honestly I don't think she has a sensory integration problem, I think she is just highly sensitive to everything and very perceptive.

Knowing for sure that she was "gifted" wouldn't change the way we parent her or homeschool her, so we have not gone that route. Even if she were to test "non-gifted" she would still be sensitive and we have to help her learn to navigate through a very stimulating world. I do believe in OE in the gifted, I am just not sure test results would help us deal any better with the day to day issues.

In regards to sensitivities, I have noticed during more stressful times or illness my dd become much more sensitive and difficult to deal with. We have tried to reduce her stress levels and her "sensitivities" have become much more manageable. I am thinking about doing some yoga with her since we've found gymnastics and swimming to be quite stress reducing for her (I've heard this from multiple other "sensitive" kids' parents). We are trying to teach her to recognize when she is getting overwhelmed and find something calming to do.

My dd is quite challenging on days, but my dh and I try to think of the positive aspects of being sensitive. Highly sensitive people just see the world differently.

Thanks for the physical activites tips. I'm pretty sure my daughter could use a LOT more activity!