Menu

World Geography recommendations please!

DD is in the middle of 9th grade. She has taken geography in elementary and middle school, along with mapping activities but I have realized lately that none of the geopgrahy stuff has stuck. She asked me if New Orleans was in Chicago? And she has no clue what coutries make up Europe, etc.

So, I am looking for a secular geography recommendation for her please. I looked at PAC and really liked what I saw, but it's a bit pricey for me at the moment.

Thanks!

I thought we had done a reasonable amount of geography but I get some odd questions too. Evans Moor has some nice workbooks for supplements which we have used. Someone on this board suggested the Sheppard Software website which dd loves and seems to have filled in many gaps. Ds won't do it- says I am trying to sneak school in on fun computer stuff. I am but I would think extra screen time is good.

I recently gave up and ordered abaka's world history on ebay. Still waiting for it to arrive. I will admit my deciding factor was price and the fact that the abeka geography that we did years ago was good.

You could also try the Trail guide to geography. I have never seen it but Galloping the Globe for littles was great. It will be more work but probably possible if you have access to a good library to make it secular. Galloping the Globe had Christian suggestions which I could not find so I did other things.

I looked at Runkle at a convention last year. It was fine but it was a textbook just like abekas will be. Christian Curricula is fine with us so decision made for less money.

Glencoe World Geography is physical and cultural geography. We used Oak Meadow with it, which I regret. When my son studies it, I will use:

Teacher's wraparound:

http://www.amazon.com/Glencoe-World-Geography-Teachers-Wraparound/dp/0078607000/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2R25179TXRPON&coliid=I388JE1N7TR2AL

Student text:

http://www.amazon.com/Glencoe-World-Geography-Student-Edition/dp/0078606993/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Student notetaking workbook:

http://www.amazon.com/Glencoe-Geography-Reading-Note-Taking-Student/dp/0078679893/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2R25179TXRPON&coliid=I1DGWDC9TSRSCK

OR

Student reading essentials workbook, for struggling readers or more simple approach:

http://www.amazon.com/Glencoe-Geography-Reading-Essentials-Workbook/dp/0078653266/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_y

The Glencoe text website has online quizzes as well.

"Glencoe World Geography is physical and cultural geography. We used Oak Meadow with it, which I regret."

Why did you regret using Oak Meadow with the World Geography? My son will be in 9th next year, and I am considering using Oak Meadow. Would like to hear your opinion of it.

Thanks!

Donna

How about not making it a curriculum, but just doing quick quizzes or look ups each morning? We tried a curriculum, and found things didn't stick either. W hat DID work, and marvelously well, was getting a plastic placemat style map of the world on one side and the US on the other, and racing to look up everything we studied in history or literature, plus we added in current events and look up every story we talk about. Everything. Race to do it. Don't know why, but it worked and it totally stuck for all 5 of our kids. They can show me where just about any major city is, region, country, etc. Sometimes taking it out of a curriculum and just working with it regularly is the key. When we turn to workbooks, I think some kids' brains just fill in blanks and shut off the rest.

"Glencoe World Geography is physical and cultural geography. We used Oak Meadow with it, which I regret."

Why did you regret using Oak Meadow with the World Geography? My son will be in 9th next year, and I am considering using Oak Meadow. Would like to hear your opinion of it.

Thanks!

Donna

I'd be interested in hearing why also.

Thanks!

Donna

Our goal for World Geograohy is just cultural literacy, I.e. Core Knowledge. OM has essay questions, projects. It is actually really good if it suits your goals. I guess I was looking for a really complete 8th grade "grammar level" program. Lots of physical and cultural geography with vocab memorization. I won't be using this class for high school credit, is what I was driving at. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Btw. I ordered the reading essentials companion workbook. It is perfect for our goals.

These are all great! Thanks everyone!

My kids love the online interactive "quizzes" too, which I found on Glencoe where they have to name each country. Okay, I'll admit it, I enjoyed it too! They thought it was amusing how little mom knew of Russia! lol!

We're going to be using Runkle Geography next year.

I purchased it from Geography Matters and they have LOTS of cool stuff for Geography!

Here's a link to their page and their prices are reasonable:

http://www.home-school-curriculum.com/

Runkle Geography is secular only by omission (i. e. it doesn't mention a creator). It could be used in its entirety in a YE physical geography course and challenge any YE assumptions.