Menu

Dr Hive... calling Dr Hive... allergic reaction

Jann in TX

For breakfast this morning I had a wonderful veggie stir fry--lots of fresh veggies chopped fine, I even tossed in a few mushrooms that I purchased on a whim the other day. I also added an egg and a spoonful of cheese... YUM...

I will feeling great about my choice until my tongue began to itch-- DH reminded me that the same thing happened last time I cooked with mushrooms!

So I basically poisoned myself --well not really 'poisoned'--but I caused an allergic reaction. I popped a Benadryl-- and my tongue is beginning to feel better--but back of tongue and throat are still itching... If it continues I'll pop another Benadryl and call my Dr.

Fun Fun Fun.... at least I don't have hives (so far!). This is my only food allergy.

Any other suggestions on what to look for or what to take?

Funny-- I eat fried mushrooms and love Hot and Sour soup with mushrooms... never had a reaction from eating out... The mushrooms I had this morning ( baby brown pearls) were chopped fine and well cooked...

Watch for reactions in two systems in your body - so if you break out in hives to go with your symptoms in your mouth or if you start to have trouble breathing or if you get dizzy or if you throw up or get stomach cramps then, your reaction is more systemic which means you should get thyself to an emergency room. Otherwise, a larger dose of Benadryl is fine (don't go over 75-100 mg assuming you are an adult of typical size, but use them one at a time). If you have a heartburn medicine with ranitidine in it that would be good to take also. In addition to being a heartburn medication, ranitidine is also a different type of antishistimine. Be warned that the more you are exposed to mushrooms, the more rapid and more severe your allergic reaction could become. It would be wise to be tested for the allergy and prescribed an epi-pen for future use. It is great for relieving sudden and severe allergic reactions.

No epi-pen.

It has been a few hours-- tongue/throat are not as swollen-- still a bit itchy-- so I may take a second dose.

No other symptoms- but I will be on the look out for the next few hours just in case.

I guess I will schedule allergy testing...

Anyone want some fresh mushrooms?

Fwiw, liquid bendryl -- kid stuff -- is advised for those kinds of runs bc it not only gets into your system faster, but also has some topical contact in your mouth and throat. Liquid Zyrtec is also great.

I keep liquid Benadryl in all cars and in my home and work. Take the highest safe dose immediately, and repeat every four hours until well after all symptoms are gone, at least a second dose at four hours. The official safe dose is 50 mg, but I take up to 100 as per my allergist, just don't do that high more than once without seeking medical care.

If you are fast and aggressive with the Benadryl, you can usually avoid epipen.

Get an epipen. Keep it handy.

My food reactions are like yours, and my allergist told me in no uncertain terms that I will die if I keep exposing myself, as each reaction gets worse, and at any time, it can escalate to full blown Anaphalaxis.

Be careful. Very careful. Push the Benadryl. See an allergist.