Menu

continue with handwriting instruction or just copywork

squirtymomma

My K-er is finishing up the HWT Kinder program. We're also slowly working our way through OPGTR. Next year, I'd like to add WWE/FLL, but having all four of those programs for LA, plus math, is sounding like a lot for her (and for me). I'm wondering if I really need to go on to HWT 1st, or if the copywork in WWE/FLL would be enough if I keep an eye on her to make sure she's still forming letters correctly. What would I miss if I didn't do HWT 1st? I did it with my older, but I don't remember what it was like or how it was different from HWT K.

As long as your dc is doing well with letter formation then I wouldn't feel a need to continue with handwriting practice and just used WWE. I was using WWE/FLL and HWT for my 1st grader and the writing was a little much for him at times so I would do WWE and then sometimes add in HWT. I kept using handwriting with him just because he had some letter formation problems and we needed to work on them. My dd who is in K this year once we finish up letter formations and she is consistant I will drop and just use the copywork for handwriting practice until I introduce cursive.

Well, I don't know about WWE/FLL, but I have always used copywork only for handwriting (I do use a workbook for cursive though). It works great if you just watch and make sure she is forming her letters correctly. Also make sure she is copying something everyday. Make life easier for yourself.

I used all of the HWT books with my oldest. I just work through them quickly, for the refresher or practice, and then let regular work in spelling and writing etc be handwriting/cursive practice. My Kinder finished HWT K a long time ago and he's just been practicing his handwriting since using some of OPG for copywork. I plan on using FLL and maybe WWE next year, but I'll probably still get that HWT book to work through rather quickly. I don't think it's necessary, I just happen to like HWT.

We started through the 1st grade HWT but nixed it in December...it was just really redundant. I will say, though, that I did find my children's handwriting to falter a bit. But I think it was more because they were comfortable with how to form the letters and were starting to rush. A few times of having to recopy and they're giving me pretty neat work now.

We attempted to do WWE and a handwriting program this year. It was too much. I ended up dropping WWE but wish I would have dropped the handwriting instead. She would have gotten much more practice just doing the copy work.

Next year I think we'll skip the handwriting and just do WWE. Then in 3rd grade well introduce cursive.

Copywork doubles as penmanship for my kids. I tell them at the beginning to only use their very best handwriting on that page, and I'll erase anything that's remotely messy. They work at my elbow so I can catch mistakes as they happen most of the time.

We started WWE about halfway through the HWT grade 1 book. I feel like DS needs a little more practice with lowercase letters (he tends to use uppercase letters a lot of the time). We do HWT on narration days and skip ot on copywork days. I'm sure copywork would be enough if you watched carefully though.

My ds used HWOT in K and this year for 1st. I scheduled HW for 2 days in the week but he just kept at his own pace finishing earlier than expected in December. He started it in August. So now we just continue with our copywork in WWE1, plus we are using FLL, AAS2, ETC, and he writes in his journal in reading. So he WRITES A LOT! I make sure he is writing his very best anytime he writes and I check over it, like a hawk, making sure he forms them properly.