Menu

Math help - open and go living math? long post.

leann_in_tx

I have not been on here for a while, but had a little homeschool crisis a week or two ago and started re-evaluating all my choices! Math in particular is giving me trouble. I've been reading tons of old threads but I'm still a little stuck.

I have an almost 7 yr old, 5 yr old, 18 month old, (and new baby on the way).

I have been using miquon math with my oldest, and finished up the orange book recently. I'm impressed with what my son has learned, but not with my teaching method. In the beginning of the book, most of the material wasn't that hard and I picked up the habit of explaining enough to get him through the worksheet and moving on. Well, that wasn't sufficient for latter parts of the book. Multiplication really slowed us down and I felt like the introduction of new topics after that left me, at least, with a little too much information at one time. My son is not enjoying math very much. (He doesn't really enjoy anything about school, except what comes easy for him, so I'm not expecting a lot of enthusiasm. But neither of us were enjoying the process much.)

Now what I should have been doing is adding in games and word problems for review and slowly working through the suggestions in the annotations book - but I've been tired and worn out and just didn't really have it in me. We're taking some time off, just doing some math facts practice and not doing much until I figure myself out. I was revisiting the annotations book today and there is so much good stuff in there, but with a new kiddo coming in May, I just don't see myself really putting together the instruction for relying on Miquon.

Still with me? Sorry this is so long.

It occurred to me that I should really just get Math Mammoth for my 1st grader, maybe starting in B, or possibly backing up to A, and let that do the extra work for me. BUT, I hated math in school, was poorly taught and am naturally bad at numbers anyway. Those worksheets are depressing to me. The thought of my 7 yr old boy sitting down to a worksheet of problems every day just makes me sad. We had some great moments with the C-rods, and I've enjoyed teaching what I can, but I think I need more hand-holding than Miquon offers.

So now for my actual question:)

I was looking at the Activities for the AL Abacus book produced by rightstart. It seems much more direct and scripted, but not overwhelming. Perhaps I could comfortably teach from this without a lot of prep and forethought? I realize this doesn't have much drill, which requires more thought from me.

My next thought was to combine this with Life of Fred. My son loves stories and learns very well in that format, however we haven't actually tried any of the books so I don't know yet if he will truly learn this way.

Do you think this would provide me with enough material to work with: Life of Fred combined with Activities for the AL Abacus for most of our math instruction? I have Family math if I need extra ideas, and I thought of getting MM topical books on things like time and money and measurement as we go along.

Or will I just be making a ton of work for myself? Because a ton of work is not going to happen for me. Should I just stick with Math Mammoth and do most of the work orally? Make up word problems to go with the worksheets?

Thank you in advance for your help.

I've been there! We've used Waldorf math (very teacher intensive, tons of manipulatives to make and a lot of work), family math, literature based math, and now Life of Fred combined with Math Mammoth. I love the ease of using Math Mammoth to cover our bases but it just isn't working for my ds. He really can't stand the worksheets.

Now I just create practice problems on the board (10 or so, covering concepts he's practicing, like addition with carrying, multiplication and division) for my ds to practice independently and we follow that up with 2 chapters of Life of Fred, which he enjoys.

I've contemplated going back to a Waldorf-based math program for his upcoming 4th grade year, but this system is working well for us now so I think we will continue with Life of Fred/practice work. LoF doesn't start fractions until 5th grade though, after completing the elementary series, so that's something to think about. MM and Waldorf-based math both cover fractions in 4th so I was planning on introducing them next year, but may just wait and see.

Have you seen Rosie's videos at Education Unboxed? She uses C-rods. Her videos are amazing! We tried Miquon this year as well and I just couldn't wrap my head around it. I so wish it was scripted. If you like the Activities for the AL Abacus book you could try RIghtStart math. It is scripted, you don't have to think but. It really holds your hand. We are using MM right now, its a great program but I wish it was more hands one. You could always use the C-rods to help explain the topics. If there are too many problems on the page have you ds do every other problem, or do just enough to you feel he understands the topic, then move on.

HTH! and good luck! We are still trying to find out soft spot in math as well. Right now I'm considering switch to Math in Focus.

we did some Time4Learning when my youngest was in 1st and 2nd and my middle schooler needed a lot of my time. he was happy with it and it took a lot of pressure off of me. then we could just do the fun stuff - living math books. You could do T4L and LOF and call it done i think. easy peasy.

It's been a while since I looked at either, but I remember not feeling like either The Activities for AL Abacus or Life of Fred taught math particularly clearly. Both seemed potentially enjoyable approaches from the student's perspective, but I didn't think either taught *why* math concepts work the way they do effectively.

At this age, if you have time to use some basic manipulatives (or can sit w him while he uses them, anyway), practicing setting up "sets of" will help solidify the multiplication. E.g., 3 sets each having 4 beads compared with 4 sets of 3 beads each. Count to see that they have the same total (12).

This web site has a number of math games that would be well suited for a 7 y.o.:

http://www.toytheater.com/math.php

I just started TT with my 8 yo daughter who is not keen on math. I have been very happy so far. It's early days, yet, and she still complains about doing it, but the lessons build on one another and all I have to do is supplement in the weak areas. Removing myself from the math equation has allowed our homeschooling to really flourish this year. Depending on your son, you might consider dispensing with the workbook and only ordering the CDs. I require my daughter to write her answers in the book, as I feel that the act of writing it down helps cement it in her mind, but that's our family. Good luck to you! Math was the most stressful part of our day due to my insecurities about being able to teach it. I understand that some people feel that TT is not at grade level, but at this point, I am interested in competency. We are already below grade level due to my switching math curricula too many times. Live and learn. :) We also use LoF as a supplement. We love Fred!

Someone mentioned waldorf (how I found this post rofl)

Have you tried "Math Lessons for a Living Education" by Queen Homeschool. These are Charlotte Mason inspired living Math books, they have both Book 1 & Book 2.

LivingMath.net I think it is also has math book recommendations and parts of a living math curriculum to go along with WTM history cycle, f you want that.

Other living-math-style curriculums/books:

A Little Garden Flower - Math Book/Curriculum Overview. Waldorf Style.

Life of Fred - Story books, they now have Elementary ones (Apple, Cat, Dog etc)

Someone on here is making or has finished a teddy style one similar to Life of Fred.

Making Maths Meaningful - Jamie York I think it is (There are two Making Math Meaningful curriculums, this one (lesser known on here) is waldorf style math.

Teaching Textbooks - Computer Based, but when children get bored of textbook styled books, this is a good alternative, seems to work with a lot of kids, and helps out parents who are less mathy.

Math By Hand - Waldorf Maths. Think of it like Rightstart Maths in Waldorf style. Her stuff comes with binders and kits for the real life waldorf maths items. I love her stuff it looks brilliant. If didn't already have a curriculum that wouldn't mesh with hers, I would use hers for sure (I still look enviously at it ;) )

Enki Education - Is another option, but unfortunately, she no longer sells stuff seperately (apart from teaching guides) so you would have to buy the grade package (which would make it expensive for just using Maths).

Arithmetic Village - Waldorf inspired Living Math books. she also has extra activity sheets to download for free. Her stuff is more of an updated way to introduce the four processes (instead of the knob-made gnomes, you have characters : Polly Plus, Linus Minus etc. I've got some bendy doll bases coming to make the characters and found some teardrop faux diamonds perfect for the jewels that were uber cheap.

Gnomes & Gnumbers - Online free curriculum?

Sir Cumference Books - Everyone seems to be nattering on about these, I haven't read them so you would have to look to another for any views.

Kitchen Table Math - Not sure how open and go it is, but on helping with any problematic areas I think it would be great. I have it, I only just got it out of my storage closet for this year, so haven't looked through it yet, but I believe its set up by types (addition, subtraction) so good if you want to concentrate on a particular area.

Family Math for Young Children +other books - I don't know much about this, but I thought it would be good to add, as a lot of people seem to talk about it.

Math Games for Learning by Peggy Kaye - A lot of people tend to have this as a good backup/helper/aide for maths. When the child is getting frustrated or you need an alternative way to show them, this would be a handy book.

Theres probably heaps more, but thats all I can think of at the moment, and covers most learning styles (WTM, CM, Steiner, Alternative Unschooling, Natural Learning, etc)

Thank you so much for all your replies and wonderful ideas.Wow, so much to choose from! But I already know that the time isn't there for piecing together different resources.

However, after talking it over with my husband, I think we are going to go with MM. He thinks that more structure would be a good idea for me:) I need low cost and dislike computer programs AND videos. Although I really should look at education unboxed, I've heard so many good things. Tthe rods themselves have not been very difficult for me. I've been amazed at how much the kids can underand using them

But I'm hoping a math plan less dependent on me will free up more time and I will be able to plan fun math fridays or something.

It occurred to me as well that my son often likes to do things on his own, and he gets much more enjoyment out of something he feels confident and comfortable doing. So it may be that the 'boring' aspect of worksheets and incremental lessons might really fit the bill for him and make math fun.

I think we would love Fred - maybe someday.

Thank you again for your help.

Someone mentioned waldorf (how I found this post rofl)

Have you tried "Math Lessons for a Living Education" by Queen Homeschool. These are Charlotte Mason inspired living Math books, they have both Book 1 & Book 2.

LivingMath.net I think it is also has math book recommendations and parts of a living math curriculum to go along with WTM history cycle, f you want that.

Other living-math-style curriculums/books:

A Little Garden Flower - Math Book/Curriculum Overview. Waldorf Style.

Life of Fred - Story books, they now have Elementary ones (Apple, Cat, Dog etc)

Someone on here is making or has finished a teddy style one similar to Life of Fred.

Making Maths Meaningful - Jamie York I think it is (There are two Making Math Meaningful curriculums, this one (lesser known on here) is waldorf style math.

Teaching Textbooks - Computer Based, but when children get bored of textbook styled books, this is a good alternative, seems to work with a lot of kids, and helps out parents who are less mathy.

Math By Hand - Waldorf Maths. Think of it like Rightstart Maths in Waldorf style. Her stuff comes with binders and kits for the real life waldorf maths items. I love her stuff it looks brilliant. If didn't already have a curriculum that wouldn't mesh with hers, I would use hers for sure (I still look enviously at it ;) )

Enki Education - Is another option, but unfortunately, she no longer sells stuff seperately (apart from teaching guides) so you would have to buy the grade package (which would make it expensive for just using Maths).

Arithmetic Village - Waldorf inspired Living Math books. she also has extra activity sheets to download for free. Her stuff is more of an updated way to introduce the four processes (instead of the knob-made gnomes, you have characters : Polly Plus, Linus Minus etc. I've got some bendy doll bases coming to make the characters and found some teardrop faux diamonds perfect for the jewels that were uber cheap.

Gnomes & Gnumbers - Online free curriculum?

Sir Cumference Books - Everyone seems to be nattering on about these, I haven't read them so you would have to look to another for any views.

Kitchen Table Math - Not sure how open and go it is, but on helping with any problematic areas I think it would be great. I have it, I only just got it out of my storage closet for this year, so haven't looked through it yet, but I believe its set up by types (addition, subtraction) so good if you want to concentrate on a particular area.

Family Math for Young Children +other books - I don't know much about this, but I thought it would be good to add, as a lot of people seem to talk about it.

Math Games for Learning by Peggy Kaye - A lot of people tend to have this as a good backup/helper/aide for maths. When the child is getting frustrated or you need an alternative way to show them, this would be a handy book.

Theres probably heaps more, but thats all I can think of at the moment, and covers most learning styles (WTM, CM, Steiner, Alternative Unschooling, Natural Learning, etc)

OMG - thanks so much for this!!!

I wonder if anyone has done the Math by Hand? That looks awesome!!

If you're really looking for living math resources, I have written 2 blog posts about living math.

This one is about getting started with living math

And this one is about living math resources

ALSO the Loving Living Math ebook by Cindy West from Shining Dawn Books is on sale for $5.00 until 1-31-13. I found it to be very helpful for the beginner and as a refresher for living math.

If anyone wants Waldorf math, check out mathbyhand.com. I came across it last week, and talked myself out of it multiple times. It's not going to work for my DS, but I want to live vicariously through someone else. :)

I came so close to ordering math by hand for this year (my 3rd grader). The reason I didn't was because it is not an open and go curriculum. It is a binder full of activities and supplies to complete those activities. The creator did tell me she was planning to develop a complete curriculum because so many homeschoolers are asking her for that, but as of last fall, it wasn't set up that way.

Well I've changed my mind again (I change my mind a lot),and just thought I'd mention it, for what it's worth. Yesterday I spent a whole minute making up a math facts worksheet and he plowed right through it, only using c rods for a couple of the subtraction problems. He did great with it. And it occurred to me that maybe what we've been doing isn't so bad. My thought now is this: to set aside a day or so to present a miquon lesson. No worksheets - just using activities in the book. (planning one lesson a week or so should be doable I think.) Then we can tackle the workbook. And I will also set aside some time to find free worksheets online to reinforce stuff we have done, so that I have days when I can just hand him a worksheet and let him go at it. I'd like to invest in an Abacus just to have around. This plan might free up extra $ for Fred:)

At this age, if you have time to use some basic manipulatives (or can sit w him while he uses them, anyway), practicing setting up "sets of" will help solidify the multiplication. E.g., 3 sets each having 4 beads compared with 4 sets of 3 beads each. Count to see that they have the same total (12).

I will keep this in mind. The multiplication was hard, but he did really 'get' it, at least to the degree that we used it, and I think he found it satisfying to understand something that he had to struggle with. Although I used an activity from the book Family Math that really helped him get the concept in the beginning, when he just wasn't getting it at first.

But maybe practicing math isn't really as complicated as it seems sometimes?

Maybe I don't really know what living math with is. I just thought of it as using activities and manipulatives more than worksheets. Everyone says that cooking is great math practice, but I have my kiddos bake with me all the time and I don't feel like it's done much, math wise. I used some of the ideas from livingmath.com for K, because I didn't use a curriculum, and it seemed to work. Maybe I'm just expecting too much in terms of what to expect from my kiddo, which is really what a curriculum heavy approach would give me: the assurance that you should study ABC and if you pass the test, you've got it. Not so bad in some ways, but this approach kinda' failed me when I was in school. So I am going to work on relaxing a little about this and let things soak in as we go along.

If they can use the math and make larger connections regarding what they are doing (the connections between adding and multiplying for example, which I could barely grasp in third grade. I didn't know what skip counting was until a couple of years ago. Amazing how that helps.) Then I am doing the job, right? Time will tell I guess.