Menu

welts/hives??

EthiopianFood

DD;s first anaphalactic reaction to wasps was a delayed reaction of over 24 hours- probably about 27 hours. But yes, she did have a true anaphalactic reaction and there are other cases of delayed reactions out there, but they are very rare. Oh and that dd has now progressed to having very quick anaphalctic reactions to wasps.

Also, I would never describe hives as welts but I would look up images of hives and see if these look like them.

I searched for welts, and it showed the same images as it did for hives....

It has been 28 hours or less. Will there automatically be more synptoms? She just has what I mentioned, which itch, and is feeling fine otherwise.

I would give her a dose of Benadryl and watch her very carefully. You must make sure to contact your doctor about this. I would take a picture to document. You don't want to mess around with a serious allergic reaction like hives.

Is it serious if there are only a few?? I tried to post a pic, but can't figure it out on my tablet. It won't let me upload.

Should I cover them, or no??

We have experience with hives that are mild to moderate and even a couple of severe cases that never progress to anything else. Once we had a virus that went around and caused a high fever and hives with no other symptoms. A couple of weeks later one of the girls swelled up with giant hives that left her bedridden for three days. The doctor said it was coincidental and caused by an overreaction to being outside in the summer heat so soon after being sick. Urticaria something or other. I also developed hives across my backside right above the tailbone the last six weeks of one of my pregnancies that didn't go away until the baby was born. Hives can come and go without being anything more than a nuisance. They aren't always a sign of something serious or escalating.

Hives in and of themselves are not serious, but as a reaction to medication, they are. You need to take a picture to show your doctor in order to document the allergic reaction. And no, you should not need to cover them.

The reason you should take this seriously is that your daughter's next reaction to novacaine, or another drug in the same class, could be a lot more serious. She'll probably not be able to have novacaine again.

My son gets itchy, welty hives daily, but his are typically related to getting hot or being tired. So, yes, there are definitely cases of innocuous and annoying hives. However, since your dd had medication yesterday, I would let your doctor know what happened. In the meantime, it won't hurt to treat with topical or oral Benadryl. Don't cover them.

ETA: We have 3 different drug allergies in our home and the hives relating to our drug allergies have all looked different than ds' usual welty hives. Just something I've observed.

Hives are actually more often a result of something like a virus than an allergic reaction.

My son's hive reactions (to food allergies) usually remain at hives. Those that ended up in anaphylaxis had other symptoms, another body system involved, pretty much immediately.

It might be worth talking to an allergist given the Novacain exposure. If it's a drug allergy you really do need to know. But it might be something non-allergic.

If you can get Zyrtec it will take care of the hives. If they come back just continue once daily Zyrtec for a week or two. If you don't have Zyrtec access you can do Benadryl but it's not as good at suppressing. You'll have to re-dose at intervals. I hope you can get one of the two--hives are miserable!

ETA: We have 3 different drug allergies in our home and the hives relating to our drug allergies have all looked different than ds' usual welty hives. Just something I've observed.

That's what I was thinking. It has been a few years but I seem to remember severe facial swelling.