Menu

thoughts?

Bellamoon

I am considering MFW or Abkea for dd for 1st grade. What are your thoughts on these programs?

I would choose MFW, a product written by and for homeschooled children, over ABeka, a publisher of textbooks/workbooks intended to be used in age-segregated classrooms, any day. :-)

They are complete opposites. I will say, having reviewed MFW in person (borrowed it from a friend), I am not impressed. I feel the first grade is very weak and would take a good deal of supplementation to have worked for us. If those are your two choices, I would go with Abeka. You might also look at Christian Liberty Press 1st Grade. We are super happy with it :)

Abeka first grade was along time ago for me but we used most of it and liked the material. Since you have most of it and are familiar I would be tempted to continue on with abeka for your math and language arts portions definately. The material is good.

I remember liking the science book. My kids just wanted a lot more. I would supplement with the library and lots of Magic School bus. Maybe Janice Van Cleve materials.

I have never used MFW (I found SL first :) ). I think where that would come in is history. Lots of options including SOTW which would not include a completely new curriculum.

We love, love, love MFW first grade! I am going to start (for the last time...sniff sniff) with Faith in a month or two. I have found it to be the perfect blend of information...enough to be accessible to a young child, fun, but not overwhelming. One caveat is that I have always used a different math program, but that is just personal preference. She will also continue sitting in with the older kiddos while we do Ancients because she loves the stories we are reading.

We have not used A Beka, so I can't add any info on that program. We did try (and ended up not liking) HOD. Sonlight was nice, too, but I liked the feel of MFW much better

Have fun making the right decision for your dc.

I used Christian Liberty Press last year with my then 1st and 2nd graders and it was not a good fit. It is a wonderful program with a good foundation, but the workbook/textbook style simply did not fit my children best. We switched to MFW for 2nd and 3rd grade this year and it is working much better. I have not tried their 1st grade program, although I know they are coming out with a brand new version in March, I believe. If you can wait, take a look at it when it comes out.

If you can, figure out what style would work best for your dc, then you will be able to narrow it down. If the textbook/workbook style fits your ds better, then continue with Abeka or CLP or something like that. If more of a CM and reading flavor tastes better to him, go with MFW, HOD or something like that.