Menu

just got an ipad retina and need some app suggestions

Book Creator is great and useful - you get it, play with it - you can create custom books to use with your kidlets. I have made simple readers, with both photos I ahve taken and images copied from the internets, for my older "kid" learning to read. You can also put in hot spots with sounds (make a read-a-loud book using your own voice). The possibilities are vast. It is easy to use, too.

For a game for yourself - try The Room. Non-violent, visually stunning, ever-changing puzzle. Has quasi-magic undertones, so be forewarned if you don't care for that sort of nonsense.

My 2nd grader loves Stack the States, Liquid Sketch, Planets, and Chess Free HD. I think Stack the States was $1 or $2, but the other ones were free. She also uses Splash Math grade 2, but it was $10.

Thanks for the suggestions. Someone else recommended stack the states to me today too. It must be a good one since a few on here have suggested it as we'll.

Book Creator is great and useful - you get it, play with it - you can create custom books to use with your kidlets. I have made simple readers, with both photos I ahve taken and images copied from the internets, for my older "kid" learning to read. You can also put in hot spots with sounds (make a read-a-loud book using your own voice). The possibilities are vast. It is easy to use, too.

For a game for yourself - try The Room. Non-violent, visually stunning, ever-changing puzzle. Has quasi-magic undertones, so be forewarned if you don't care for that sort of nonsense.

Love The Room, but recently got addicted to QatQi, a word game.

Here are 2 threads you might find helpful:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/447239-has-the-ipad-revolutionized-anything-or-everything-about-your-homeschool/

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/446809-favorite-ipad-apps/

Here are some that I posted in the second thread:

These are some of my favorites for 'productivity'

Dropbox

Notability

Evernote

Notes Plus

Dragon Dictation

Paper by 53

Dictionary.com

File App Pro

Wordflex

App Advisor -- tells you when apps go on sale or are free

iStudiez

Weather+

Calculator HD

Wikipanion

iBooks

Google Earth

iPhoto, PS Express, Snapseed, PhotoForge (photography apps, if you want pix on your iPad)

Pandora, Downcast, Kindle etc (if you are listening to radio, podcasts, reading books, etc)

Netflix, Amazon Instant Video (many TV stations also have their own apps)

For news

Flipboard

Instapaper

Slate

Huffington Post

NPR

Salon

Life (pix archive from the magazine)

Education

BrainPOP

Quizlet

Wolfram Alpha

Algebra Touch

Quick Graph

The Elements

Sky Safari

Solar Walk

Star Walk

Move the Turtle (programming)

Music & Art

Sketchbook Express

Sumo Paint

Magic Piano

Apps on individual artists -- I like the ones by Mokoo

The Orchestra

I have over 200 apps -- how did that happen???? Our iPad is a family iPad, so there are lots of games too. At first, I vowed to have no games, but they are just so much fun....

My favourites for homeschooling assignments are Explain Everything and ToonTastic. We have music theory apps, stop motion animation apps, apps for recording and arranging music (ds wants to make a music video where he is playing all the parts of a song), apps for math practice, etc. If you have an interest, there's probably an app for that.