Menu

Questions for landlords. Questions for renters.

Guest inoubliable

Guest inoubliable

Mkay. This is getting old. My thread from last week on the landlord, which included choice tidbits on nuisances about this house, had a lot of you recommending that I find a new place to rent. I absolutely agree that this is something that needs to be done.

The landlord ignored me for two days AFTER that thread, finally texted me that he did find the checks, and yet still hasn't deposited them. He just makes me super nervous.

I've looked at hotpads.com for months looking for a new place to rent. I'm continuing to look. What I want to ask The Hive is how do I avoid renting another place that has problems like this? Is there a way to vet the landlord to make sure we don't get stuck with an owner that may be having some financial issues? What things should we be looking at in the house so that we can avoid having sinks that leak, toilets that run, bad electrical work? (When we looked at this place, none of the utilities were turned on so we couldn't see that every faucet leaks badly and that there were some major issues with electrical work.) Do any of you ever approach potential neighbors to say hello and get some general chit chat? You know, to get an idea of the neighborhood?

I know how to do a check for sex offenders. I know how to find out a neighborhood's walkability score. I can check crime stats in most places. I'm more concerned about getting into another situation where the house is costing more than it should, or is dangerous, because it wasn't kept up well and we couldn't know that until we moved in. And I'm concerned about renting from someone who is struggling every month to hold on to the property (I've personally seen people lose the house they're renting when the landlord goes into foreclosure. It happens quite a bit in this area still).

Any advice? I really need to get us out of here. DH and I are starting to really get stressed about the whole situation.

I don;t have any advice. I asked this question of JAG lawyers when we were moving in Dec of 2008 and I was really scared of renting a home that might be foreclosed. They said there really isn't much you can do. One thing you could do is just try to rent from someone who is renting homes as a primary business. They are probably a lot less likely to be financially iffy. We decided to go with a house that was owned by a mom and her daughter where the mom and dad used to live and the dad got a stroke and the parents needed to move with the daughter to be cared for by the daughter. We figured that was not as likely to be a problem than someone who is moving for sketchy reasons. They ended up being good landlords and we had no issues.

Another landlord that may be good is a military owner who is stationed in another location now. As long as they are in the military, they are getting paid and should have money for repairs. We rented our house when we got stationed to Belgium and we did pay for repairs.

I'm not sure. I told my SO if we don't get the house we have an offer on, we will do a background check on the next landlord (half joking) and a home inspection (again half joking). It is tiresome to have landlord issues or issues with houses that you are renting and there isn't much you can do. Out here, they do "home inspections" on rental properties. I actually got to watch them do it on our last rental. Really, truly, that was horrible and of no value to me. I found more issues in the first few months than the city did doing their inspection.

Guest inoubliable

I would look for a rental with a property manager. And not a property manager that is the owners BIL, college buddy, etc., but rather someone working in a real estate office. A good property manager can lean on the owner and get things done better and sooner.

Our landlord IS a realtor. >.< His father owns the real estate office he works for. They are a HUGE name in town. I don't have much faith in trusting someone who is a realtor just because they're a realtor.

The only places that I know of around here that have property managers are the big apartment buildings. We won't be able to get into any of those. They're either income restricted (and we don't qualify) or you need stellar credit (we don't) or we'd be looking at an apartment with less square footage, for more per month, and on the third floor besides.

*sigh*

I'm starting to feel rather hopeless. Which is why we're stuck here still anyway. I start to look, find nothing, and we just shrug and take it for another 3 or 4 months before something else sketchy happens and we start all over again.

There is a property a couple towns over selling for $30k. A house that needs demolished, but over 2 acres. I'm tempted to see if we can get a loan for it and put an old trailer on it.

I don;t have any advice. I asked this question of JAG lawyers when we were moving in Dec of 2008 and I was really scared of renting a home that might be foreclosed. They said there really isn't much you can do. One thing you could do is just try to rent from someone who is renting homes as a primary business. They are probably a lot less likely to be financially iffy. We decided to go with a house that was owned by a mom and her daughter where the mom and dad used to live and the dad got a stroke and the parents needed to move with the daughter to be cared for by the daughter. We figured that was not as likely to be a problem than someone who is moving for sketchy reasons. They ended up being good landlords and we had no issues.

Another landlord that may be good is a military owner who is stationed in another location now. As long as they are in the military, they are getting paid and should have money for repairs. We rented our house when we got stationed to Belgium and we did pay for repairs.

We did this. We rented a house from a woman who owned/rented houses as her primary source of income.

One small problem... She had several mortgages on each house and when more than one sat empty for a long time, it was like a house of cards collapsing.

Ultimately, it's going to be GREAT for us. Former landlord had to go through bankruptcy and here we sit waiting for our second redemption period to end so we can buy the house. We have to scramble a little because we're going to do a cash sale but in the end, it's going to be worth it because we're getting the house for dirt cheap AND we haven't had to pay rent in a YEAR.

So if we ever find ourselves renting again (and we might - DH is pretty mobile about work), one of my questions to the landlord will be, how many mortgages are on this property???

Hm, we have a home that we used to live in but rented out when we moved to another state. It is managed by a realtor's office that manages lots of rentals, and their relationship both with us and with our tenants has always been very professional. We have had 3 sets of tenants over the course of 9 years. When a repair is needed the tenant tells the management company, who then contact us to authorize the expenditure. The cost is then deducted from our account (what that usually means is that we get less money in the next check, although if there were a larger repair we might have to pay up front). The house was brand new when we bought it and it has only recently passed the 10 year mark, so necessary repairs have been relatively minor.

This office has a website where they list properties for rent that they are managing. Maybe you could find something similar? I would think a company that is managing lots of rentals for other people would have to maintain professional standards.

Best of luck to you! We were both landlords and renters for years when we lived in California as we could not afford to buy a home there but were renting out our home in another state. I found I preferred working with a management company as a renter as well--when we lived in an apartment where the owner was responsible for maintenance there was a lot more hassle and stress than when a management company was in charge.

Guest inoubliable

Some friends came over this afternoon and told us about a house for rent that they drove past. DH and I piled the kids up in the van and drove over. And... I called to see if we could see it. The sign said "2-3 bedrooms, 1 bath, $850". That's $100 less than here. It's out in the county so we'd have cheaper taxes on the vehicle and camper. I'd have to send in a new NOI to the county. It's cute, though. And it seems like the basement is finished, so I might just get a homeschool room out of it, too. Oh. And central air! Woot!

Hoping to get in and take a look tomorrow or Monday after DH's dentist appointment. Is it normal to ask a landlord what the monthly utilities cost? I seem to remember someone saying they ask that of potential landlords. Is that a thing you can ask? Is there some specific maintenance about central air that we should make sure is addressed in the lease?

Some friends came over this afternoon and told us about a house for rent that they drove past. DH and I piled the kids up in the van and drove over. And... I called to see if we could see it. The sign said "2-3 bedrooms, 1 bath, $850". That's $100 less than here. It's out in the county so we'd have cheaper taxes on the vehicle and camper. I'd have to send in a new NOI to the county. It's cute, though. And it seems like the basement is finished, so I might just get a homeschool room out of it, too. Oh. And central air! Woot!

Hoping to get in and take a look tomorrow or Monday after DH's dentist appointment. Is it normal to ask a landlord what the monthly utilities cost? I seem to remember someone saying they ask that of potential landlords. Is that a thing you can ask? Is there some specific maintenance about central air that we should make sure is addressed in the lease?

Of course you can ask. It's a darn good question, especiallyif you aren't used to central air.

Guest inoubliable

It's been a really long time since we had central a/c. I'm wondering about stuff like filters. Should that be a landlord's responsibility to replace those? If not, how often is something like that replaced?

Another good thing - no trees!! That sounds like such a ridiculous thing to be excited about but, trust me, it's good for us! The gutters here are constantly clogged, the tree out back is constantly threatening to fall and take out the entire house, and the raking - ack! - the raking!!

It's been a really long time since we had central a/c. I'm wondering about stuff like filters. Should that be a landlord's responsibility to replace those? If not, how often is something like that replaced?

Another good thing - no trees!! That sounds like such a ridiculous thing to be excited about but, trust me, it's good for us! The gutters here are constantly clogged, the tree out back is constantly threatening to fall and take out the entire house, and the raking - ack! - the raking!!

We have central a/c and replace the filters, I don't see that as something for landlords to do, because it's routine care, you wouldn't ask them to replace broken light bulbs right? OH and central a/c works off the furnace in a forced air home, so it's the same filter for heat and a/c since it's all one unit. We change ours once a month but we also have allergies, many without allergies can go 2-3 months before changing them out.

I wouldn't be so sure about no trees. We have no trees here and because of that our house gets super hot in the summer because no trees means no shade.

That sounds like a great possibilty. I hope it works out.

The utilities question is a fair question, but you often won't get a very good answer since so much is dependent upon the temperatures people set their thermostats to. However, you might be able to check the history at the utility provider. Where I live, you can call the provider with the property address and ask for the historical costs of the utilities.

Be sure to note how old the windows are and whether or not they are single or double panes. That can make a big difference.

With a finished basement, you want to check carefully for signs of mold or mildew, especially of it is carpeted. Ask if the basement has ever flooded. If there is a sump pump, how old is it and has it ever failed?

I hope this turns out to be what you are looking for.

Guest inoubliable

That sounds like a great possibilty. I hope it works out.

The utilities question is a fair question, but you often won't get a very good answer since so much is dependent upon the temperatures people set their thermostats to. However, you might be able to check the history at the utility provider. Where I live, you can call the provider with the property address and ask for the historical costs of the utilities.

Be sure to note how old the windows are and whether or not they are single or double panes. That can make a big difference.

With a finished basement, you want to check carefully for signs of mold or mildew, especially of it is carpeted. Ask if the basement has ever flooded. If there is a sump pump, how old is it and has it ever failed?

I hope this turns out to be what you are looking for.

Oooh, excellent questions! Thank you! I'll call the utility people on Monday and see what they can tell me.

I think the windows must be newer. Not sure if they're single or double panes, though. The place looked like it had been taken care of from the outside. We saw old carpet rolled up in the driveway, so I'm guessing they replaced some. I'll have to see how I can check for mold or mildew, if it's possible carpet was replaced because of that.

I hope this turns out, too!

Mkay. This is getting old. My thread from last week on the landlord, which included choice tidbits on nuisances about this house, had a lot of you recommending that I find a new place to rent. I absolutely agree that this is something that needs to be done.

The landlord ignored me for two days AFTER that thread, finally texted me that he did find the checks, and yet still hasn't deposited them. He just makes me super nervous.

I've looked at hotpads.com for months looking for a new place to rent. I'm continuing to look. What I want to ask The Hive is how do I avoid renting another place that has problems like this? Is there a way to vet the landlord to make sure we don't get stuck with an owner that may be having some financial issues? What things should we be looking at in the house so that we can avoid having sinks that leak, toilets that run, bad electrical work? (When we looked at this place, none of the utilities were turned on so we couldn't see that every faucet leaks badly and that there were some major issues with electrical work.) Do any of you ever approach potential neighbors to say hello and get some general chit chat? You know, to get an idea of the neighborhood?

I know how to do a check for sex offenders. I know how to find out a neighborhood's walkability score. I can check crime stats in most places. I'm more concerned about getting into another situation where the house is costing more than it should, or is dangerous, because it wasn't kept up well and we couldn't know that until we moved in. And I'm concerned about renting from someone who is struggling every month to hold on to the property (I've personally seen people lose the house they're renting when the landlord goes into foreclosure. It happens quite a bit in this area still).

Any advice? I really need to get us out of here. DH and I are starting to really get stressed about the whole situation.

Well, I'm a long time landlord. What caught my attention here is that the utilities were turned off. I never turn mine off. If they aren't in a tenant's name, they are in my name. Perhaps your jurisdiction simply handles utilities differently, but here, that would be a sign of long-term vacancy or financial problems of the landlord.

I guess all you can do is see how professionally the landlord handles your inquiries and your questions. Check the house out carefully to make sure you don't see deferred maintenance. I would not sign off on the move- in checklist (a very detailed document which all professional landlords prepare and which the tenant signs, indicating a complete picture of the property as rented).

When walking through you need to look at everything. Run faucets, flush toilets (after asking, and only if you are interested in pursuing the property). Look at the electrical box. Check outlets. Take flashlight (very important) and check around toilets and under the sink. Anything shiny is dripping water. My plumber always does this.

Absolutely talk to neighbors. Neighbors of my houses sell the tenants on me as a landlord, and also sell the neighborhood as a nice place to be.

Google to see if any complaints come up anywhere about your landlord. You can check the Assessor to see that the landlord owns the house. Unless a bankruptcy has been filed, you can't see it.

Guest inoubliable
Well, I'm a long time landlord. What caught my attention here is that the utilities were turned off. I never turn mine off. If they aren't in a tenant's name, they are in my name. Perhaps your jurisdiction simply handles utilities differently, but here, that would be a sign of long-term vacancy or financial problems of the landlord. I should clarify because my DH just reminded me that the water *was* turned on in this house when we toured it. We were told it was off and so we didn't bother turning any faucets on. When we went to have it turned on in our name the day we signed the lease, the city wouldn't let us. They told us the water was already on, but in the landlord's name and they wouldn't switch it over until he paid a bill of about $300. We had to have his secretary come across the street to clear it up so we could have water turned on that day. Financial issues there? I guess that should have been a huge red flag. I guess all you can do is see how professionally the landlord handles your inquiries and your questions. Check the house out carefully to make sure you don't see deferred maintenance. I would not sign off on the move- in checklist (a very detailed document which all professional landlords prepare and which the tenant signs, indicating a complete picture of the property as rented). We didn't have move-in checklist here. We were told to let the office know if anything was not working within a week. We did - we had no working oven, washer, or dryer. I took pics of broken windows and some cracks in the walls and let them know about that, too. I'll be sure to insist on an actual checklist this next time - thanks for the reminder! When walking through you need to look at everything. Run faucets, flush toilets (after asking, and only if you are interested in pursuing the property). Look at the electrical box. Check outlets. Take flashlight (very important) and check around toilets and under the sink. Anything shiny is dripping water. My plumber always does this. Absolutely talk to neighbors. Neighbors of my houses sell the tenants on me as a landlord, and also sell the neighborhood as a nice place to be. Google to see if any complaints come up anywhere about your landlord. You can check the Assessor to see that the landlord owns the house. Unless a bankruptcy has been filed, you can't see it. Awesome, thank you so much! I think we're going to head over to the house tomorrow and see if we catch any neighbors outside to talk to. We googled the phone number we called and came up with a guy's name. Looks like he runs a one-man trucking operation; nothing else on him or the property so far.

I change the filters. Some tenants won't actually remember to do it.
I thought it was something that *we* should do as tenants. The only place we've been where we had central a/c was an apartment building 10 years ago (we weren't even allowed in the locked closet that stuff was all in) and a townhouse where the landlord was really weird about having certain filters used and so she sent someone by every month to do it. I want to make sure we don't not do something just because we didn't think to do it. We don't want to be irresponsible out of ignorance.

I

When you answer inside a quote, it won't show up.

You are correct that unpaid utilities are a major red flag, as well as not having prepared a checklist and then presenting it to you to check off.

Any good landlord runs a credit check, criminal history check, employment check and previous landlord check on all applicants. He repairs anything necessary and prepares a very detailed checklist of the condition of every wall, faucet, baseboard, ceiling....everything in the house. Photos are taken. He gives you copies of your Lease, the Lead Based Paint Brochure which is REQUIRED by law, and copies of any other relevant documents, such as a Holding Fee Agreement, if applicable. The house is absolutely SPOTLESS when turned over to you (and even when showing, if empty). How he cares for his houses reflect the quality of his service as a landlord.

Asking gently and respectfully about financial solvency is a very good idea today.

I'm not sure. I told my SO if we don't get the house we have an offer on, we will do a background check on the next landlord (half joking) and a home inspection (again half joking). It is tiresome to have landlord issues or issues with houses that you are renting and there isn't much you can do. Out here, they do "home inspections" on rental properties. I actually got to watch them do it on our last rental. Really, truly, that was horrible and of no value to me. I found more issues in the first few months than the city did doing their inspection.

Government home inspections are stupid and useless. It's just a moneymaker. No real effort is put in there, and it also raises rents across the board.

Guest inoubliable

Weird. Something went wonky with formatting that last bit of my reply, I guess. What my reply basically said was that I wasn't sure on the filter thing because the only two places we'd been that had central a/c, the filters were out of our control. One was an apartment where the filters and water heater were in a locked closet, and the other place was a townhouse where the landlord was odd about using certain filters and she'd send someone over every month to change them. I'm glad I know now that this is something that would be expected of the tenant. I don't want to be irresponsible out of ignorance. Thanks for clearing that up.

Our landlord IS a realtor. >.< His father owns the real estate office he works for. They are a HUGE name in town. I don't have much faith in trusting someone who is a realtor just because they're a realtor.

The only places that I know of around here that have property managers are the big apartment buildings. We won't be able to get into any of those. They're either income restricted (and we don't qualify) or you need stellar credit (we don't) or we'd be looking at an apartment with less square footage, for more per month, and on the third floor besides.

*sigh*

I'm starting to feel rather hopeless. Which is why we're stuck here still anyway. I start to look, find nothing, and we just shrug and take it for another 3 or 4 months before something else sketchy happens and we start all over again.

There is a property a couple towns over selling for $30k. A house that needs demolished, but over 2 acres. I'm tempted to see if we can get a loan for it and put an old trailer on it.

You are correct. Realtors are not necessarily good landlords. Two totally different ballgames there.

You will do better price-wise with a small, but professional landlord like me than with a larger company with staff overhead. I require excellent credit - but I did make one exception and it worked out well. They had been married for over 30 years, and had a business failure, all documented. They have lived in the house for years, pay early, and started another successful business. My gut reaction is pretty good. I figured if they could commit to each other for over 30 years, they could commit to a house for one year and abide by that contract. I was right.

Manysmall landlords I know do not require stellar credit.

Do you want your landlord in your house every month replacing the filters?

We've rented houses for three years before buying current house. At all we were responsible for filters.

We tried the "3 month" filters at one place. But at the recommendation of trusted friends went back to every month filters now that we own our own place.

Do you want your landlord in your house every month replacing the filters?

We've rented houses for three years before buying current house. At all we were responsible for filters.

We tried the "3 month" filters at one place. But at the recommendation of trusted friends went back to every month filters now that we own our own place.

I use some expensive filters that last 6 months. I wouldn't change filters on a monthly basis at a rental. The tenant could choose to change that frequently if he wanted to, but none have.