Menu

Envelope System App

OrdinaryTime

I'm looking for an app that will help you track purchases in categories similiar to using a paper envelope system. I would use an envelope system, but we prefer to put everything on a credit card and pay off monthly to build points. I have a Droid phone that I would like to use the app on, though I do have an iPad I could use.

Eeba. Love it.

:iagree:

You can sync across several devices (so if dh or I make a purchase, we can enter it right then & there on our phones), and enter on the computer too. There's a paid version with more options but the free version is plenty for us.

YNAB with the apps allows my husband and I to also do this via dropbox. I love that when I'm out I can enter things on the fly. I also love that each entry allows me to do a split transaction so I can pay for it all at once and then decide which categories things go to. Oh and the apps update my computer as well.

Thank you so much for this thread! I downloaded EEBA last night and set up my info. Wow. It is perfect. It's the app that I never knew I needed, but I'm sure I can't live without it now. The ability to sync between my phone AND DH's phone AND the computer... getting 20 "envelopes" in the free version... I'm blown away, ladies. This has got to be the most useful forum I've ever seen, to help in all areas of one's life: prayer, decluttering, recipes, parenting, exercise, budgeting, and cupcakes. Oh, and homeschooling! ;)

The EEBA app looks perfect for us, but I'm confused on the cost. The in-app purchases say 4.99 for one month? Is this going to make me pay a subscription fee at some point? Or are the 20 free evelopes always free? Love that it can work on both my ipad and android phone.

I went to the EEBA website and looked at their subscription options. The free version has 10 regular/monthly envelopes, 10 irregular/yearly envelopes, and allows syncing between two phones. If you want more than those 20 envelopes, want to sync to more than 2 phones, or want to link to your bank account, then you pay the subscription. But the basic version is suppose to be free forever, and it's really all thy I need. I recommend you check out the EEBA website and check out the info there. It was very informative. (Sorry, I don't know how to add a link on my phone!)

ETA:

Back on the computer. Here's the link to the EEBA Plans & Pricing page.

Thank you! It sounds like the free version could work for us, we have more categories than that in our budget but we might be able to condense some or track them separately in a spreadsheet. I'm downloading this and am excited to show dh. We currently have this way over-complicated way of tracking our expenses. He's enthralled with his new android phone so I'm thinking he'll like this!

thanks for mentioning EEBA!! we've used cash envelopes for years now. i've never found an app straight forward enough or free that made me feel the need to convert over. i downloaded EEBA, and for the first time in fooorever, i used my debit card like cash! i shopped, deducted the amount, and immediately knew what was left. it feels great to not have a boatload of cash in my house or in my purse, lol. i love that i can sync it with my husband. i LOVE that it is backed up on the internet, so if my phone was lost or died, i'd still have the info. so thank you! :D