Menu

Should I be a realtor when I "grow up"?

ReneTL

My kids have been sick for a week, so instead of getting ahead on planning, I'm spending a too much time dinking around online, trying to figure out what I would like to do when this homeschooling gig is up, or at least becomes less demanding. I just took a Core Capacity Index test from a local broker to see if I'm a good fit to become a realtor; Surprise - I am. There are some things about it that has always intrigued me, and I think I could do well, but...I don't know.

I'm just wondering if there are any realtors out there that manage to juggle it with homeschooling and what that looks like in your day-to-day world. How many hours do you put in the job? Are you available 24/7 or do you have fairly regular hours? Are you able to disconnect and be present for your family or do you jump every time the phone beeps. (This is probably my biggest fear!)

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks,

Rene

My kids have been sick for a week, so instead of getting ahead on planning, I'm spending a too much time dinking around online, trying to figure out what I would like to do when this homeschooling gig is up, or at least becomes less demanding. I just took a Core Capacity Index test from a local broker to see if I'm a good fit to become a realtor; Surprise - I am. There are some things about it that has always intrigued me, and I think I could do well, but...I don't know.

I'm just wondering if there are any realtors out there that manage to juggle it with homeschooling and what that looks like in your day-to-day world. How many hours do you put in the job? Are you available 24/7 or do you have fairly regular hours? Are you able to disconnect and be present for your family or do you jump every time the phone beeps. (This is probably my biggest fear!)

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks,

Rene

I had my license for awhile. It is pretty expensive to maintain the fees, and I am definitely not a salesman type. I have a lot of knowledge about real estate but people have to come to ME. This does not bode well for this occupation, which requires aggressiveness and real people schmoozing skills. Definitely better for the extrovert type.

We have had zero luck selling with or buying with people who aren't available on short notice. We lost out on buying a couple houses because agents didn't get back to us fast enough, and we lost out on a few showings of the house we're (still) trying to sell because our agent wasn't quick enough. Those people were all still in the business though, some of them for many years, so they might have been making enough money on the hours they preferred to keep and didn't miss the extra money?

I have had a couple friends who do this, one VERY successful and one got out pretty quickly. Neither was a homeschooler. The one who got out has school aged kids and was planning to work from home. For her, she got out in part because the market tanked (I am sure you remember) and because it ended up taking up a whole lot more of her time than she expected. There was one sale that took so much of her time that she figured out her hourly pay to be less than 10$ per hour. She has a special needs child and she needs to be available for him. She found real estate to be much less flexible than she needed.

Yes, you have to have a very clean and nice car for transporting clients. My one very successful friend has a Mercedes! I love it when she picks me up to go places.

I have asked her a couple times how she does it, because I find her business pretty impressive. She sort of blows it off and says that it just needs a very organized and methodical personality. She is very dedicated to her job. She loves it and only wants to work. I think that might have something to do with her success as well.