Menu

Help with 7th grade dd and books please...

Joker

Older dd is newly 13 and in 7th grade. They've been given a project for Language Arts and the teacher sent home a list of acceptable books as a guide for the project. Several of the books deal with rape and violence, at least according to my Google skills. She knows what rape is, but I told her I didn't think she needed to be reading these right now. I especially don't feel she needs to be spending extra time on them for a project. She's read To Kill a Mockingbird, but I think these books deal a lot more in depth with the subject.

Some of the books she now wants to read (because her teacher said they were good :glare:) and I haven't read so am unsure of are:

The Lovely Bones - child rape and murder? (I actually read this when it came out but don't remember much.)

Monster - references prison rape several times?

Speak - rape, but not sure how prevalent it is to story

Summer Sisters - not rape, but all I can find online is that it is an adult book with heavy sexual content.

Please let me know if you think any of the above would be ok for a 7th grader. I don't have time to pre-read them all before the project.

Also, please let me know if you have any recommendations. The only list I see says it needs to be a coming of age story that can be related to the real world. Thanks!

Yikes! None of those titles are appropriate for a 7th grader! Not to mention, I think kids should be reading classic literature in school, not popular fiction. My favorite "coming of age novels" for 7th grade would include the two the other posters mentioned, plus:

Huckleberry Finn

The Red Badge of Courage

Little Women

Jane Eyre

The Bronze Bow

The Story of My Life (Helen Keller)

Pride and Prejudice