Menu

Is DIVE Chemistry 10th grade average student too hard?

I asked about earth science earlier and it doesn't sound like a popular choice for 10th grade even though our local school district does it in 10th. I wanted to wait till 11th for chemistry because both the BJU text and the DIVE website recommend it for that grade. I think ds would be more interested in chemistry than earth science, but I don't want him to be blown away with a science that is really meant for an older student.

So should I wait for chemistry? I guess another option is to pick an easier curriculum.

You might want to contact Dr. Shormann and ask this then. I'm guessing that this may be a problem, but I really don't know. Mine is finishing Saxon Algebra II in June, and will start DIVE Chemistry in August. I know that will work, but I'm not sure about your situation.

I think for 10th grade, my ds will do DIVE Chemistry with BJU and he will be finishing Saxon Alg. 2 this year. If your son has an interest in Chemistry and will be taking Alg. 2 concurrently, it may work, but he would have to be pretty motiviated. I also believe choosing the Apologia Text may be a little easier. BJU is more dry, Apologia is more conversational.

We are using DIVE with BJU Chemistry this year. My ds15 is in 10th grade and currently in Alg 2. He hasn't had any problems. That said, I am preferring the dvd's from BJU for chemistry. (Didn't use this time because my kids just can't stand the teacher, whom everyone else seems to just love.) DIVE seems to be much easier. BJU also lists Alg 2 concurrently as the math needed for chemistry. DIVE also lists taking alg 2 concurrently as fine.