Menu

How to lower your Trigs?

dancer67

I had bloodwork done. Fasting, 12 hours. My fasting blood sugar was 107(it was 105 last year). My overall cholesterol was 210(up from 191 last year). HDL and LDL were really good. But Trigs came in at 197.(up from 142 last year). Admittedly, I am a sugar-aholic. All I drink is sweet tea and coffee with about 3-4 tbsp. of sugar, plus I do love my Reese's PB cups. I had an iron panel done which was all good so I spoke with my Hematologist about this. (My primary care Dr. is not in until tomorrow). He said to cut way down on sugar, and exercise 3X a week. 20 min of walking. I dance one day a week for 45 minutes. So I am going to have to practice dance here the other two days. Is this true? Cutting back on sugar will help your blood sugar and trigs? What foods should I stay away from? What should I eat to lower my trigs? I read it was borderline high. But because I have high blood pressure already, I want to get it down. At night I take two tsp. of Blackstrap molasses because I take iron and that makes me go to the bathroom, so I can't cut back on that. What is out there to drink besides water and flavored water that has no sugar? What is a healthy sugar substitute?(If there are any). I am not good at figuring out what is a good fat, and what are bad fats etc etc. Plus, stay away from the sugar. Help anyone?(And tell me these numbers are not horrific, or is it????)

I had bloodwork done. Fasting, 12 hours. My fasting blood sugar was 107(it was 105 last year). My overall cholesterol was 210(up from 191 last year). HDL and LDL were really good. But Trigs came in at 197.(up from 142 last year). Admittedly, I am a sugar-aholic. All I drink is sweet tea and coffee with about 3-4 tbsp. of sugar, plus I do love my Reese's PB cups. I had an iron panel done which was all good so I spoke with my Hematologist about this. (My primary care Dr. is not in until tomorrow). He said to cut way down on sugar, and exercise 3X a week. 20 min of walking. I dance one day a week for 45 minutes. So I am going to have to practice dance here the other two days. Is this true? Cutting back on sugar will help your blood sugar and trigs? What foods should I stay away from? What should I eat to lower my trigs? I read it was borderline high. But because I have high blood pressure already, I want to get it down. At night I take two tsp. of Blackstrap molasses because I take iron and that makes me go to the bathroom, so I can't cut back on that. What is out there to drink besides water and flavored water that has no sugar? What is a healthy sugar substitute?(If there are any). I am not good at figuring out what is a good fat, and what are bad fats etc etc. Plus, stay away from the sugar. Help anyone?(And tell me these numbers are not horrific, or is it????)

My husband lowered his tremendously by going on a mostly plant diet. Basically, salads, and a little lean meat and veggies. No bread or pasta or sugar at all.

Not yummy but amazingly effective. His company demanded he be blood tested again (even though it cannot tie penalties to results, but does) and they couldn't believe the difference.

And there really isn't any websites that contain recipes for eating a "low-trig" diet. My friend had a trig reading of 1300. I didn't think that was possible. Mine is almost considered "high", even though it states "borderline high". If I didn't have high blood pressure I wouldn't be as concerned. With my fasting blood sugar at 107, I know I need to cut back on that drastically. I have no idea how to put any kind of meal plan together. Especially for snacks, and lunches. I always have roast chicken from deli, with mayo on white bread. I know white bread isn't good, but no idea about mayo. So confusing!

Dh lowered his trigs from 1000 to under 100 by adopting a low carb diet--as in, no starches or sugars--and increasing his exercise to 5 days/week. He drinks flavored seltzer and unsweet tea and when he cut sugar from his coffee he just upped the half&half. He tried diet sodas--the kind with sucralose--but that hasn't worked well for him so he's cut those out as well. He does allow himself to eat Atkins bars when he needs a sweet fix, otherwise he tries to eat berries for his sweets. He also seems to be fine with eating Ezekiel bread but he eats only 1 or 2 slices per day about 3-4 times per week.

You might try replacing your molasses with Konsyl. You can find it in the pharmacy section. It's pricier but has no sugar and it works well.

ETA: Dh has high cholesterol and when he cut down on carbs he increased his egg intake--he usually eats a veggie omelet for breakfast now--and it hasn't changed his cholesterol numbers.

Wow, first of all that is amazing. 1000 to under 100???? And I have never heard of Konsyl. But I was taking the Molasses for the iron content as well. But I will cut that back to a tsp a night. No sugar in my coffee. No more reese's PB cups for me, or chips. For breads, can you have pumpernickel at all? Don't know what Ezekiel bread is? Exercise is def. on the list. Thanks ladies for helping out.

I had bloodwork done. Fasting, 12 hours. My fasting blood sugar was 107(it was 105 last year).

But what was your non-fasting? Hgb A1C is the best blood test to check your overall blood sugar readings.

My overall cholesterol was 210(up from 191 last year). HDL and LDL were really good.

A low carb diet will help your cholesterol, too.

… Cutting back on sugar will help your blood sugar and trigs?

Yes

…

… No bread or pasta or sugar at all…

:iagree:

… What about wheat breads?

bread turns to sugar, so will raise your blood sugar

Dh lowered his trigs from 1000 to under 100 by adopting a low carb diet--as in, no starches or sugars--and increasing his exercise to 5 days/week. …

You have a lot of good questions. There are many books on low carb eating (Atkins, Carbohydrate Addicts Diet, etc.) - most of them will explain the connection between carbs, sugars, triglyceride, cholesterol, insulin, etc. to help you learn better what foods to choose.

Best wishes

My blood panels were always good, but since following the new Atkins advice of high fiber (of which wheat bread really isn't!, sorry), higher fat and lower carbs, my latest blood work last month had my triglycerides at 36.

I have formerly been rather active, but this year, overall it was very light exercise -- about 10-12 miles per week running and 2500 yards of swimming 1x a week.

I don't know what my non fasting blood sugar is. I know in the past it has always been good, if I went to ER for something. It always seemed to be better, like 86 to 95. Everytime I have had a fasting blood sugar it is higher.I have a glucose monitor here, I just need testing strips. Can't figure out why it is always fine when I was non-fasting. I am sure she is going to order the Aic test or whatever that is. So it looks like low-carb is the way to go. I also have Carlson's fish oil, and I am going to start taking that. Again, thanks so much.