Menu

Do you have a favorite skillet?

Whereneverever

I need a new one. I have a 12 in Calphalon that has been my workhorse for the last almost decade but after a visit from a family member it's wrecked.

I want a similar size. I don't think I want something super heavy. Definitely no Teflon. Maybe copper?

Any suggestions?

Copper, if it is the good stuff, will be thick and very heavy. It is great to cook with, but $$$$$ and quite heavy. Thin copper is to be avoided as it does not disperse the heat well enough to prevent hot-spots. The thin stuff is a waste of money IMO.

I think carbon steel/black steel/mineral iron pans are under appreciated in the home market (although loved by chefs). They are relatively cheap, but also suffer from being kind of heavy.

Bill

I have a set of Le Creuset knock-offs from the 80's that MIL passed on to me after she upgraded to the real thing. I love them to death. I resisted using them for so long because they are a bit heavy, but broke down and finally pulled them out last summer when my last skillet died. I am now a huge fan of enamelled cast iron. No seasoning, even cooking, fairly nonstick, and cleans up easily. Can even use them in the oven. I don't foresee myself ever using anything else!

Copper, if it is the good stuff, will be thick and very heavy. It is great to cook with, but $$$$$ and quite heavy. Thin copper is to be avoided as it does not disperse the heat well enough to prevent hot-spots. The thin stuff is a waste of money IMO.

I think carbon steel/black steel/mineral iron pans are under appreciated in the home market (although loved by chefs). They are relatively cheap, but also suffer from being kind of heavy.

Bill

Do you have a specific suggestion? I'll stay away from thin copper, thanks for the warning!

By heavy I meant the Lodge pans. Five or six lbs a pan would be fine.

Thanks!

I have a set of Le Creuset knock-offs from the 80's that MIL passed on to me after she upgraded to the real thing. I love them to death. I resisted using them for so long because they are a bit heavy, but broke down and finally pulled them out last summer when my last skillet died. I am now a huge fan of enamelled cast iron. No seasoning, even cooking, fairly nonstick, and cleans up easily. Can even use them in the oven. I don't foresee myself ever using anything else!

I'm strongly considering the LC pans. It seems like people either love them or hate them and I'm a wee bit nervous on dropping the money with no returns...