Menu

x-post: VideoText Algebra? MUS Algebra? ChalkDust Algebra?

My ds will soon be 12. We started algebra in the fall with Jacobs. After a few weeks, we both decided that it wasn't working so I read the forums and decided to try Lial's. We both like it better, however my right-brained son seems to need something more 'visual'. We're on our Christmas break and I am trying to decide what algebra program would work best for us. I am currently looking at MUS, ChalkDust & VideoText algebra and would like to hear from others who have used any of these programs. I want the hear the good and the bad.

Thanks!

Kim

We used MUS from K through Algebra. I wanted to stay with MUS through high school, but decided against it because I found it lacking. Here is a post I wrote with just one example of what I find lacking in MUS Algebra. Using MUS in the high school years is sometimes hotly debated on these boards. I personally would not use it with any student who is headed for a STEM major. Please note that it has been updated since I used it. Perhaps it is more rigorous now.

I have not used Chalkdust or VideoText, but based on discussions on this board. VT is similar to MUS and Chalkdust is considered rigorous - probably what I would have used had I wanted a DVD.

HTH!

ETA: Here is one thread. If you click on the tabs at the top of the thread, you'll see more MUS threads.

MUS in High School

We used Jacobs and found out after the fact that it didn't "take" so we backed up and did Video Text. The pre-algebra review in the first module went pretty quickly, but highlighted a couple of areas where ds needed more work. We loved the visuals, and I needed the detailed solutions guide. We used all the algebra modules and then all the geometry modules which were available by the time ds decided to start taking classes at the cc.

The only reservation I have is about the credit which should be given for completing the courses. I'm fine with giving credit for Algebra I and II, and Geometry. I'm not convinced that VT sufficient for pre-calc, but since I haven't seen the complete program can't be sure about that. We bought the first four modules of geometry and were given access to pre-publication materials for Module E. DH pulled together some basic trig lessons to finish things off. VT did prepare my son well for his college math classes.

We ran out of time in our homeschool, but my ideal sequence would be to do VT Algebra for 8th-9th, Geometry in 10th, College Algebra (Algebra III) in 11th, and then Pre-calculus in 12th grade. Of course there are students who can move more quickly during the high school years, but my preference is to take plenty of time to solidify pre-algebra and algebra I skills early in high school, and then nail down algebra skills before attempting calculus.

My son fell in love with VT after seeing the sample videos. I enjoyed seeing explanations of things that were taught by rote when I took algebra in the early 1970's.

Your ds is only 12yo, so he has plenty of time to do a lighter algebra course now and follow it up with a more rigorous course.

MUS Algebra I is a light program. It doesn't cover the quadratic equation until Algebra II. The word problems are much more basic than in other programs.

Even Key to Algebra (which a lot of people don't consider a complete Algebra I program) covers more than MUS Algebra I with more involved word problems.

It doesn't matter how rigorous a program is if it's beyond where your ds is right now though. You need to start where he actually is, not where you would like him to be.

My recommendations would be to try Key to Algebra or MUS Algebra I as a primer year and then do a more rigorous algebra program or to do something like Kinetic Books Pre-algebra to just give him some more time before tackling Algebra I.

I used Jacobs for my oldest and loved it. Jacobs is the program that I used for my tutoring student 2 years ago and what I plan to use for tutoring next year. Kinetic Books is what I used for my middle dd for Algebra I (wasn't around yet when my oldest did it) and she absolutely loved KB. Both of those were way beyond what my youngest could handle. She did MUS Algebra I and still struggled at times. She will do MUS for all of her high school math because math is a huge struggle for her.

(I'm still looking at my Pre-Algebra options, so take this with a hefty dosage of salt!)

Had you thought about an online class? Kinetic Books & Tablet Class are both highly visual. Both offer a free trial period, although KB's free trial is their public school version -- which differs some from their homeschool version. (PS version not as complete as HS version, I believe.)