Menu

BJU Cultural Geography -- Which books are necessary?

I am trying to find an interesting course for ds with clear expectations. This could be it. The main problem is it is bulky and I will buy it to start while we are in the US and will need to transport it back to the UK in our baggage. Obviously every ounce counts.

I was looking at the samples and the Teacher edition appears to be a must have due to the extras on the cds. But it also appears to contain the entire student text. I am trying to decide if he could simply use the Teacher Edition as his textbook. I would get the student workbook and the answer book also.

Anything you can tell me about this curriculum would be helpful. I have never used BJU before and am a bit nervous.

Also other suggestions for him would be welcome. Notgrass history sounds good but I think the literature element needs to be completely separate. One battle at a time. He needs accountability and the ease of a standard test is very appealing.

If you don't get an answer here in the next couple of days, I would call BJU's customer service. They might be closed for a few more days, but I'd call as soon as they open again. Their customer service is really good. I would explain your situation, ask your question, and see what they say. Just an idea.... :)

That sounds nuts to me to try to carry the monstrosities of the BJU Geo9 student texts and tms in your luggage, whew. If you do the online version, don't they give you a pdf of the tm and student texts? We just signed up for the physical science, and I haven't even looked. Check that out. That's nuts to carry tms and texts in your luggage. That would be *4* huge, heavy books. You'd totally regret that.

What you actually could do though, depending on your schedule, is do the first volumes in the states and do the 2nd volumes in the UK and mail back and forth. Check the table of contents and number of chapters and think about your schedule. That would at least cut the toting in half. But I wouldn't. I'd watch the videos and use the pdfs and move on. BTW, I have the tms. I think it's cool and my dd isn't biting. We're doing the world history 10 instead.

I'm having a brain blip about what was on the cds in the tm. Sometimes, yes, the cd's have awesome stuff. In the case of the geography I don't recall.

I don't think the online/dvd option is the way to go with my son. He will simply snooze through the class and do a mediocre job. He hates the lecture portion of khan and other lecture type online classes. Loves documentary type viewing. I really think he needs to be faced with a book to plough through. Take notes. Get some study/slash organizational skills. I have done years of trying to drill history into his brain SL style. While he is not ignorant he does not even sort of like it. He likes the cuddling and chatting withmom fine it is doing anything more that gets him! I want to try something else. When he was little we used Abeka some. He did well with the format.

I am thinking Geography because he appears to be worn out on history and although quite well traveled does not know as much as I would expect. He has been to places and can't remember where they are! The US and Europe technically right but more specific please! I honestly think much of it is the fact that he is a rapidly growing 12 year old boy who just wants to eat and sleep.