Menu

Let's talk Math

For 6th and up, our biggest success has been Life of Fred (so far, Fractions through Beginning Algebra). For my son, it's a great fit, teaching him not only math, but how to learn and how to study properly-- if he tries to blitz through it it too fast, he quickly learns that he doesn't get much out of it, but if he slows down and really pays attention to what the author is saying, he gets a tremendous amount of math out of these books.

As a means of testing his knowledge, I will sometimes have him teach back to me (without time to study or prep the section) a section from a Dolciani text. The 1960's and 70's texts are "classics" in the sense of being very plain and getting the job done, but the 1980's editions are, quite frankly, a little more pleasant to look at on the page, unless you happen to prefer old-book look and feel.

We did dabble with AoPS Pre-Algebra for about the first half of the book, but frankly working that concurrently with Life of Fred PreA was pointless, as there was nothing in there that he had not already thoroughly covered in LoF, and his learning style more closely matched LoF, though he will sometimes log in to Alcumus and do a problem or two.

I have read through Saxon 5/6 and 6/7, and it would not suit anyone in my family-- it is too much unnecessary drill, not enough beauty of mathematics, more just a "get'er done" approach for our needs. I am also familiar with Foerster, Jacobs, Tobey, and several other texts.

Online, there is the resource Elements of Mathematics, which is a phenomenal resource for the mathematically curious, and we do enjoy that one in our house. Khan academy is also popular here.

Looking into the future, we have not ruled out AoPS's Number Theory and Probability books.

For Trig/Pre-Calc and Calc, we have Stewart on deck as a very clear, uncluttered book with nice examples, clear explanations, and excellent problem sets. Stewart is used in many universities for math major calculus series.

I've been using the upper level singapore with my older son. we started with LoF, but the non-linear text made him crazy. We did two years of New Syllabus (since discontinued), then LoF beg. algebra as review, and have just started Discovering Mathematics - we really like DM - its very clear, cut in to good sized chunks, problems grouped by difficulty. I dont use the teachers guides because math is my thing, and I havent needed the help.

We're using Horizons Math, which is spiral like Saxon but seems to teach in larger, more organized chunks (as far as I can tell, as my brain interprets what I see...Saxon throws my brain into a tizzy, as I can't grasp the pattern in its layout. Maybe that's just me?) PreAlgebra and Algebra I are very new still, Horizons just released these over the past year or two. I'm hoping they continue the new trend with Geometry and Algebra II.

6th/7th - MUS Epsilon & Pre-algebra, with Life of Fred & Hands On Equations as supplements.

I didn't like the look of the upper level MUS (it went in a different direction than what I wanted for my kid), so we switched to Art of Problem Solving's Intro to Algebra, with MUS Stewardship (financial), Patty Paper Geometry, and a slide rule unit study as supplement or extra study.

I've liked all of them. My son liked MUS because it laid things out really neatly, and after 2 months of culture shock with AOPS he's really enjoying it, too. The fact that it expected him to think and reason through made the beginning frustrating. MUS taught, AOPS plays. It's very different for him. I do not regret the years of MUS, though. I think he needed them to get a better understanding of concrete numbers and operations before diving into algebra headfirst.

For elementary math we used MUS and still using CLE with our dds. CLE works better for spiral learners and fits our dds much better. MUS worked well for ds11 through Zeta (Decimals/Percents). However once we got to Pre-Algebra we switched to TabletClass which is a much more solid and challenging program. We also supplimented with Hands on Equations which is great for introducing basic abstract problem solving in the early years. We are considering AoPS for Algebra 1.

Particularly Middle grades ( 6th and up).

I used to teach Saxon 5/6, 6/7, and 7/8 (I think) at a private school and really liked how it was taught, but hated teaching it. (If that makes sense)

What have you used, and what do you love or hate?

My son does Saxon Algebra 1 pretty independently with Art Reed DVDs so I would not rule out Saxon. He does have a teacher who teaches him this but he works several lessons ahead and is able to do problem sets with just watching the Art Reed lessons and reading over the lesson. There is also Saxon Teacher videos as well which cover step by step the entire lesson and each problem.

I would take into account how your children seem to learn best and what their math strengths and weaknesses are.

I would start on the Logic board, where there are many threads about middle school math generally and prealgebra specifically. Here is one long thread about prealgebra. (My understanding is that Saxon 8/7 is essentially prealgebra. Anything prior to that level I would categorize as elementary math.)

FWIW, my personal favorites include, but are not limited to, Math Mammoth through 6th grade followed by a prealgebra such as AoPS or Dolciani (which one would depend very much on the particular student). By the time your kids get there, Math Mammoth will also have prealgebra (MM7). I am not a Saxon fan.

For 6th grade last year, my oldest went through two levels of R&S (lots of overlap) and Lial's Basic College Math. This year she's doing Lial's prealgebra (almost done). I have Lial's algebra here, and we're going to try it when she's done with prealgebra in a few weeks.