Menu

Pics of kids on your blog

NotSoObvious

I have a private blog for our family and a public homeschooling blog. Initially I didn't use names or faces on our public blog because I wanted to remain anonymous and I was worried about birth family, etc. I'm less concerned now because it's been a few years and everyone knows it is me.

We are working on the new blog (it is still a work in progress) and my husband thinks I should just start using normal pictures with faces of the kids and myself. I know a lot of you do this.

What are the pros and cons? My husband thinks it makes it more personal and attractive to people. I have all kinds of photos and videos on FB so we aren't super private by any means. I guess I just wonder what this is all going to look like in 10 years as far as privacy goes... My kids don't care right now, but what if they do when they are older?

Cons are that people could copy your pictures and use them. Also, your kids might be embarrassed by your blog when they're older, but I feel if that happens, I can always take it down or delete specific posts. I think pictures add a lot to blogs. They make them more visually appealing and I want to see the people I'm reading about.

I post pictures pretty often...your DH is right about that making the blog more personal and attractive. As far as I can tell, people really like pictures!

I have a few basic rules for my blog. No nudity, no even shirtless pictures, and not even of the baby. I know some people don't have a problem with sharing pictures like that publicly, but it's something I won't do.

I make sure that if I'm using pictures of my girls, and they're wearing skirts, that the skirts are where they belong, partly so they're not embarrassed when they look back on it.

I may post pictures of them making a goofy face, or doing something silly, but I don't post anything that I think falls under the category of truly embarrassing...I'm saving those pictures to show potential spouses someday! ;)

If they're ever uncomfortable with a picture I've taken, I don't share it. The only time this has ever come up is with middle DD's eye patch. She doesn't want me to share pictures of her wearing it, so I don't. In general, the children really like when I share pictures of them, so I haven't had any problems with it as of yet.

Those are my "rules" for now...if circumstances change, then I'll look at changing them!

I use pictures of my kids. I try not to use pics they'd be embarrassed about later on, but just regular pictures about whatever we're doing -vacation, school projects, decorating the tree, whatever. A lot of our relatives from out of state look at my blog and really like to see how the kids have grown, etc.