Menu

question on C&C cages

ProudGrandma

we are adopting 2 guinea pigs and I am wondering if a 2 x 4 is REALLY big enough...I mean, maybe I am thinking I want to add more things to the cage than I need to. I plan to have at least one loft (maybe 2) each would be 1 x 2....with an above bridge to contect the two and a ramp. But I also want to put in a fleece forest, 2 igloos, hay rack, 2 beds (doing fleece, not bedding) and maybe try a liter box...not to mention food bowls. The cage pieces (a 2 x 4 with a 1 x 2 loft) is coming with the piggies, so I can't set it up ahead of time to see if it the right size...

So what do you all think. I need to know what size so I can buy and make the coroplast bottom.

Please help me figure this out. THANKS!!!!

I had a 2 x 4 with one loft. It had two hidey houses under the loft, a water bottle, two food bowls and a corner litter pan (that didn't get used much!). The guinea pigs had plenty of space. I think it would have still been fine with two fleece beds in there. You could put the fleece forest under the loft, I suppose, and put either the beds or the igloos behind it.

My guinea pigs didn't end up liking their ramp and the second story wasn't used much. The ramp also does take up some of the floor space. On the other hand, they did like hiding under the loft and under the ramp. :) If I bought another cage, I would probably get a one-story.

If you add a bridge, be sure that the guinea pigs won't be able to fall off. They're not really natural climbers. Some people use fleece tunnels that velcro on the ramps/bridges to keep the pigs safe, to give them secure footing, and to help them feel more comfortable.

You'll find that your guinea pigs have favorite spots, and it's possible not all your accessories will even be used.

Hope this helps!

Agreeing with the above. Our piggies never really used the second floor, but they loved sleeping under it. They preferred snuggling under it so much that we took out the igloo, it was just wasted space. Ours didn't seem to mind the ramp, just didn't use it much. I'd be very cautious of a bridge without sides. Keep your corners free until they decide where they like to pee.

Does anyone know if rabbits would do well in a C& C cage in the house? A friend just gave us a nice rabbit hutch, but we're not quite ready to get rabbits yet. I need to do more research. I think the rabbit(s) would be handled more frequently (and enjoyed more) if they are kept in the house.

I also wanted to add that I'm very impressed with all the questions and research you are doing. Most people just jump in and don't know what they are getting into. Good job!!

I seriously thank you for this comment. I sometimes feel like I am bothering everybody here with yet another piggies question. But I have made other decisions in my life before this that I have later regretted because I didn't do my research and I was in too big of a hurry. It's crazy, but a few weeks ago I was nearly ready to buy a bunny....then a chinchilla....only to find out those wouldn't be the best pets for us...so I am not in any hurry...although my daughter is. i really feel that piggies will be great pets for our family....but I want to learn as much as I can before actually getting them...I want to explore all cage options....bedding vs fleece, size, what to put in it etc...and I THANK ALL YOU GUYS...for putting up with my 1001+ questions.

Does anyone know if rabbits would do well in a C& C cage in the house? A friend just gave us a nice rabbit hutch, but we're not quite ready to get rabbits yet. I need to do more research. I think the rabbit(s) would be handled more frequently (and enjoyed more) if they are kept in the house.

Absolutely yes!!! Most of the C & C rabbit cages I've seen have tops on them, unlike the guinea pig ones. Here are some great examples:

http://breyfamily.net/bunnycage.html

http://www.michiganr...e.org/condo.htm

http://www.qrabbit.c...er-housing.html

http://www.therabbit...cages-cubes.asp

I definitely recommend keeping your rabbits in the house rather than outside. It will be healthier for them and they will become much more tame.