Menu

Idiot's Guide and For Dummies....

My opinion is that I would not use them if you intend to list resources in your course descriptions (at the high school level).

I wouldn't use them as a sole resource, I would use them to build off of or to put together a course for a subject I know nothing about. Mainly, I want to know if the information in them is reliable - are they as good as/reliable as a typical textbook?

I really like the Dummies/Idiots series as a basic beginners guide for practical subjects, like Puppies for Dummies (which was very helpful for us and very basic), or repairs, or other how-to topics. For academic subjects, I'd skip the Idiots/Dummies series and go for a textbook or something like (for example) The Annotated Mona Lisa to cover basic art history, or an Alfred Music Theory book.

Cat

I really like the Dummies/Idiots series as a basic beginners guide for practical subjects, like Puppies for Dummies (which was very helpful for us and very basic), or repairs, or other how-to topics. For academic subjects, I'd skip the Idiots/Dummies series and go for a textbook or something like (for example) The Annotated Mona Lisa to cover basic art history, or an Alfred Music Theory book.

Cat

Thank you.

The value of the book varies. So does the depth. I'd try asking about the specific book you're interested in!
The titles I am considering are: Art History, Music Theory, World History, Anatomy and Physiology.

Besides asking here, check the reviews at Amazon. I usually learn enough from them to judge if a particular volume is well done or not.