Menu

Knitters: I don't have a blocking board-

justamouse

If it's thin (like a lace shawl) block on a large bed. If it's heavier and will take more than few hours to dry, I usually block on the carpet overnight. Pins push into the carpet with no trouble at all and things are always dry in the morning if you choose good drying weather.

Can someone explain, in really easy terms, blocking? I understand the general concept, but what is the easiest solution to use? Why do it? and so forth....

Water. It relaxes the yarn and you can "lock" the shape in the finished garment. In some cases, it really enhances stitch definition.

Water. It relaxes the yarn and you can "lock" the shape in the finished garment. In some cases, it really enhances stitch definition.

I have heard this, but have always wondered HOW it works? What is it about the water that "locks" it into place. Won't things get funky if laundered? Or do you lay them flat to dry again?

I have heard this, but have always wondered HOW it works? What is it about the water that "locks" it into place. Won't things get funky if laundered? Or do you lay them flat to dry again?

Wetting the fibers allows them to relax from all of the tension they have been put under from being spun and plied and wound and knitted. It releases the energy from all of that and allows the fiber to resume whatever natural crimp that it has.

The best way for you to experience this is to knit two swatches in any yarn you like (acrylic will show little change, though, so choose a natural fiber). Wet one of them thoroughly by soaking for at least 30 minutes in warm water. Squeeze the water out. Lay it out and smooth down the edges. You might want to pin the item to a certain size/shape (ex. points one lace edge need to be pinned out). Leave it until completely dry. Then compare it with the first swatch. You will immediately see the difference.

I would disagree with the idea that blocking "locks" the fabric, though. In fact, you can change the fabric quite a lot in blocking (by stretching it out or smoothing it with your fingers).

Oh, oh, I've got it. It's like hair. You can wet your hair and braid it and let dry. When dry, your hair will have waves when you take the braid out. Until you wet it again. Then it will be straight - IF your hair is naturally straight. If your hair is naturally curly, you can iron it to straighten. But as soon as you wet it, the curls spring right back.

Water allows fibers (your hair is a fiber) to resume their natural crimp.