Menu

help me disguise a gift card for tricky Christmas swap?

Lucy the Valiant

Here's the deal (I'll spare you the backstory): I need to disguise a $25 gift card according to what it's for (i.e. a deer w/a star on it for Starbucks, an actual target for Target, etc.). We all exchange the gifts, try to figure each other's out, and then the winner gets a prize (and more importantly, bragging rights for a year happy0009.gif ).

The first year, I made a little Amazon lady-warrior and wrapped the paper gift card in her spear . . . I won that year, but haven't won since. Last year's winner was a photo of the couple's 2 mothers (his and hers) and the gc was to a local Italian restaurant, Mama's.

This year, my best idea so far is a photo of Fenway Park, with the Green Monster prominently displayed, and a gc to . . . Walgreens (get it? green wall = wal-greens?)

DH is entering a cowbell and a $25 gc to "Cowbell-as" / Cabelas.

I need to at least beat DH, and preferably win the whole thing. happy0009.gif One couple is from VA, so chain stores need to be national, but everyone is originally from the greater Boston area, so some things local to Boston are ok.

Ideas????? becky.gif

also thought of . . .

a local movie theater here is called "the loop" - I thought about a gift card from there w/ a shoestring glued on a card in "a loop"

a picture of Simon Cowell and a Simon mall gc

picture of Irving Berlin . . . Irving gas card (but who wants a gas gift card? happy0009.gif except me, I do)

Same for a Shell gas card . . . an actual shell.

Maybe if you gave us a list of local places we could be more creative. A little outhouse for Outback Steakhouse? I DO NOT recommend playing this game with a Dick's gift card!

Some of Emeril's Bam spices for a Books A Million card?

Something with pennies for J.C. Penny's?

A doll bed and tub in a little space diorama for Bed Bath and Beyond?

Well not knowing exactly what was around there I wiki'd restaurant chains in the us lol So here are some of the ideas I thought of

Dominoes pizza -a domino of course

Hard Rock Cafe - a big rock

Popeyes- a package of spinach

Red Lobster- up you guessed it, a lobster

I actually like the idea for gas stations, gas prices are crazy and any way to actually save a few bucks at the pump when travelling to see family for xams I bet would be very appreciated by whomever got it.

Yeah, forgot to mention, these need to be g-rated. LOL There are quite a few in the "Dick's" category.

I'm going for national chains like

Staples

Lowe's

Home Depot

Bath and Body Works

Pizzeria Uno

Chilis

. . . I think I need to just go stand in front of one of those gift card kiosks and get inspired.

Do you think people would get a subway tile (like the ones that are coming back in in kitchens nowadays) as Subway?

We live in New England / greater Boston area, but looking mostly for national chain stuff.

The Barnes & Noble one was done a couple of years ago - I always think my idea is dumb, and then it works out.