Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I.Dup.

Was Columbine the start of all of this?

:iagree:

though I would add that farmers should be allowed to have gun as well, to dispatch suffering stock.

Point taken -- being that it is strictly for utilitarian use on animals.

That was amazingly brave of you. It is very difficult, when you are sitting in the middle of a gun-lusting culture like the US, to see the gun-lust around you. I know I did not see it much when I lived there either. I remember shortly after I moved here. There was a news item that the province had recorded its 30th murder for the year. This was around October/November of that year. I remember thinking, "huh, that's a slow Miami weekend." It didn't faze me at all. But oh my word! You should have seen the news stories that week. People were really upset. Outraged, even. It was the talk of everyone I ran into for weeks. It was considered unthinkable. I felt a little sick that I didn't think that was a big deal. It really hit me that "getting used to" a bunch of murders in the news was a sick thing.

Once you can see more objectively, removed from the inundation of propaganda and cultural pressures to conform to that philosophy, you see it for what it is. And, when you move out of that country to another where life is so vastly different (although YOU are the same person, so you think), that becomes even clearer.

If I could "like" your post a thousand times, I would, but I can't, so I'll just like you a thousand times more.

You are so right about not seeing it when you are mired in it. It hit me hard when I went back this past summer and watched the news...it was so filled with killings and all were with guns... and the gun stores all over the place... and all the bumper stickers on cars that say stuff like "You will have to pry my gun from my cold, dead fingers!!"

etc. etc.

It all came off as being so...I don't know... RABID almost. It's like we're paranoid that at any second we will need to kill someone so we need to be ready. As an outsider (which I feel like now), you get this impression that Americans sleep with their boots on and hugging their guns. It was just so alarming and sad. And like you, I was upset with myself for never having noticed it before.

Then Sandyhook happens and FB explodes with posts and memes of Charlton Heston and pictures of the US flag with guns next to it as if american=guns. And my word, the gun hysteria has just gone through the roof. Anyone who even HINTS at the idea that maybe, just maybe, there are too many guns in America and maybe, just maybe, they are too available is instantly labeled unpatriotic as if I am dressed in red and dancing on the graves of the founding fathers by even thinking it.

I am American. I love America. I never thought too much about gun control because guns were so normal to me and it never occurred to me that there is another way... that other countries live quite peacefully without guns for everyone. So it is still surprising me that I am even typing all this. But we Americans have a blindspot and it is heavily guarded by well-armed, constitution-toting citizens. Until we acknowledge that, and attempt to have an honest, intellectual discussion about this mentality, the killing will continue.

This issue seems crystal clear to me so we will just have to agree to disagree. Thanks for giving me something to do for a little while though. Being completely useless is the worst part. I was hoping to go help keep the Westboro Baptist Church idiots away but the darned people never showed up.

So, for those of you who have lived through something like this, how long did it take for the media circus to go away?

At Thurston, the satelite trucks from all over the world that lined the street in front of our school were around for over a week. It gradually got better, as in finally we could walk in front of the school without being seen on CNN.

I would recommend a book called Amish Grace by Kraybill, Nolt, and Weaver. It tells the story of the shooting at the amish school in PA and the extent of the effect on the community. I read it a year ago (13 years after I experienced the Thurston shooting) and it was immensely encouraging and helpful in processing things I had thought were over and done with.

Fully automatic weapons have been banned for longer than any of us have been alive in the US. Who knows what someone means as an assault weapon???? Over 70% of guns sold are semi-automatic and actually in some ways they can be less lethal than plain revolvers. Why? Because clips jam versus the revolver doesn't. They are not talking about banning all semi-automatics. This is what a lot of the problem is- the bans are semantic not actual. So one of the bans used to be on the color of the weapon-huh??? What does that have to do with lethality?

But we also have to remember that the USA is a very large country. While someone in suburban CT may not see a reason to own a high powered rifle, someone who lives in the wilderness in Alaska with Grizzlies and wolves might have a different opinion.

We don;t have any of the so called assault weapons. BUt apparently neither was the Bushmaker AR-15.

And Audrey, you are completely right- the gun type doesn't matter. It didn't even matter the clip size since he taped extra clips to the sides of the gun for fast change. Therefore the onus is on other means of preventing such disasters and one of the best ones is to get rid of gun-free zones and have responsible people armed.

My DH is a Canadian, he spent a huge amount of time out in the Canadian wilderness doing big canoe trips , camping etc. etc. He never ever took a gun, and was never ever afraid of grizzlies or wolves. However, when he went to Alaska, he was afraid to walk anywhere near any campground, as they were full of Americans shooting every animal in sight. He was afraid of being shot by mistake. Something that would not happen on the other side of the border.

Thanks Shanzanne. I checked and my library has that book. I am not sure that I am ready to read it yet but I will soon.