Menu

Glasses after Vision Therapy

Has anyone's dc needed to start wearing glasses after VT? My ds got glasses from the original COVD dr we saw (mainly to force him from using the wrong muscles to focus and thus stop bad habits and headaches), but stopped wearing them a few weeks into therapy. He completed his VT in June with another dr. and just returned for a 6 month follow-up appt. He completed the evaluation test very well, but the dr recommended that he goes back to wearing reading glasses for schoolwork/reading as he preformed some of the tracking tests faster with glasses than without. The confusing thing to me was that she wants to change one of the lens' strength to match the other side. Since she did not originally prescribe the glasses, she explained that she likes both eyes to be equal. So, instead of +.25 and +.50, she wants him to get +.50 and +.50. I'm confused as this is a stronger strength in one side. Wouldn't he "lose" vision in the eye that she is changing the lens? I feel like I don't know much about eyes to understand completely, but it just seems odd to me. She has been an excellent dr and a fellow for almost 30 years, so I'm sure she has her good reasons for doing this. I just need to understand and be okay with it before doing it. Not sure even where to research.

Are these for close reading only, or to wear all the time ?

If they are for all the time, I would want a better explanation. Wanting both eyes to have equal prescriptions does not make sense if they need different levels of correction. When there is a big difference between prescriptions in glasses, it creates "fishbowl" distortion in the eye with the stronger presription. This makes binocular vision more difficult since the two eyes will never have the same picture available to match with each other. But if one eye really needs more correction, not providing that correction will also disrupt binocular vision.

If the correction matching is only for near vision, it may not cause problems to overcorrect, and the weaker eye needs to be sufficiently corrected. I would want her to clarify that. But for far vision, the correction needs to be the right amount for each eye. This is what our son needs - much more correction for far vision in one eye than the other. The solution to the distortion problem for our son is to wear a contact lens in one eye only, because the distortion does not happen with a contact lens.

My VT would suggest glasses to magnify things for the kids, but they never took to them. All five have done vision therapy but only one needed glasses afterwards and that was about a year after he finished. And now my oldest needs classes after going to college (many years after the vision therapy).

Just email or call 'em and ask. In our house we're actually dealing with correction issues, in which case that wouldn't make sense. In your case, it sounds like she's wanting to keep the scrip the same in both eyes so that it would be like using a flipper, just a temporary bump up. But just call them and let them explain.

Yes, these are just for reading and up close school work only. She was very specific about him not wearing them all the time while playing, sports, etc. This would be an over-correction in one eye (his strong eye) which was my concern. I don't want him to get poorer vision because of it. I'll call and ask. I just thought I'd ask all of you first. :laugh:

Though the brain learns to process visual information, to suit what it recieves from each eye.

Where the eye is just the lens to the world.

But if you change how one of the eyes work?

The brain has to unlearn this old way of seeing, which has become automatic?

To learn a new way of seeing?

But it tends to hang onto the old automatic way?

So that the best solution, is to disrupt its old way of seeing?

Which forces it to look for a new way?

So this could be the intention?