Menu

Switching pediatricians... Do we really need to transfer ALL of their records?

chickenpatty

We're in the process of switching to a ped that is closer to home. I requested our kids' medical records from our old ped, and to get copies, it is going to cost us over $70.

Do I really need all the records or are the vaccination records enough? Those are either free or significantly cheaper, I can't remember which...

When I changed many years ago, the doctor's office sent the entire file directly to the new physician. No copying. If you want copies it will cost you, but transferring the records should not cost you.

This. Transferring records between offices shouldn't cost anything. You getting a copy of the records will almost always cost you. Unless there is significant history or pre-existing conditions, vaccination records should be sufficient.

I took vaccination records and growth charts. I could have moved everything over for free ONCE, but if we moved again, we would have to pay copying fees. So I decided to go with the vaccination records and growth charts, and make sure I really liked the new practice before I moved everything over. I loved the new practice and eventually decided we didn't need the previous records. We weren't really dealing with long-standing medical issues, so that made things easier.