Menu

Reading aloud to a 5th grader

I still read some history and science stuff aloud to my fifth grader. We discuss as we go so I think that combination is what is helpful for her. She reads other stuff on her own so I'm not worried about it. In high school and college, she will have a text to read plus lecture to learn from. I think what we are doing is, while not exactly the same, in the same vein as that. I will gradually step up the individual reading as she gets older, but we will always keep the discussion component.

I think it partly depends on what the rest of your day looks like. Are you reading everything to him?

I like having a little of both in each subject, when possible. Reading/work she does independently and some we do together. We always discuss what she reads independently (except for free reading).

The reading/work we do together is more complex. I do make sure there is work at her level she can do independently so she is strengthening those skills as well.

I have been struggling with this (internally) as well - I do read aloud his history. But, i also realized that (as a science major) I rarely read the entire text, I went to lecture, review the notes and used the text to review/and read any areas that I didn't understand after lecture.

I do have him review the text first, so he is coming to the reading with what the main topic is/he has some familiarity and he takes notes and we talk about it while I read (so, I'll stop, we'll talk, he'll write some down), making it a little more interactive, not a lecture (which would be silly for one), but heading more towards being able to handle what a lecture would be in terms of listening and taking notes.

I am still reading aloud history and literature selections to my kids, the oldest of whom is in 6th grade/12 years old. He has independent assigned reading, as well. We use SL for history and literature, which schedules in readalouds through 7th grade. I will be sad when my kids are "too big" for this. I combine my boys in one SL Core so reading aloud is a very efficient way to cover the material and also leads to more interesting discussions.

I don't see anything wrong with reading aloud to him - he has a lot of years ahead of him to read textbooks on his own.

DS stopped letting me read anything other than novels aloud a few years ago (he's all about speed :glare:), but I'm sure I'll be reading history, and maybe science, aloud to DD through middle school.