Menu

Reading Eggs and their estimated reading age.

Mandylubug

So, I decided to try out Reading Eggs for my girls that are 7 and having a slow go at learning to read. They are currently using Phonic Pathways and Bob books with ETC work books. I was pleased to see that Reading Eggs had a diagnostic test at the beginning to estimate where they should start. My girls tested at the age of 5.25. It is a shock to see how behind they are reading wise. My daughters did a couple of lessons after the test and I will say that they seem on level for where they need to be. They seemed to like it ok but one did ask to go to starfall instead. I don't think starfall will push them any farther, though.

Anyone find that the reading age estimate not accurate for their child? It is shock for me to see that estimated age. I expected 6.5 or so. They turned 7 in July.

I ended up ignoring the reading age and just using that as a sign of progress. It listed my 4.5-year-old at 5.25 and my 6.5-year-old at 5.75... and there was certainly a bigger margin in their ability! Nonetheless, I was able to glance at the age and watch it creep up as they moved along in the program. I would ignore it, don't draw your girls' attention to it, and know that they are progressing at a comfortable rate as they continue through the maps. HTH!

Well that's kind of silly. :glare:

Well, if they told you your kid was reading higher than the program...you wouldn't pay for it and use it ;). There was a thread previously that told this and would recommend watching your child test and if they only missed a bit to go ahead and move to reading express.

It is the bottom line. They aren't going to send your money away and tell you that your kid is past their program. It is not an accurate testing of their reading age though from reading eggs. I would give the reading eggspress diagnostic as well and see where they score on it as it assumes they can read already.